Shifting etudes recommendation

February 10, 2020, 10:51 AM · This is for my little one, who is 10 and an intermediate level (recent concerti include Haydn G, Accolay, Bach a minor). She is already skilled at shifting (in terms of intonation and landing in the right place) and can play all her 3 octave scales comfortably. However, I do not like her thumb position when she shifts, especially coming down. I am looking for a decent etude book focused on shifting that won't bore her to death. Any suggestions?

Replies (12)

Edited: February 10, 2020, 11:43 AM · Sevcik, Shifting the Position and Preparatory Scale Studies, Op. 8. This will be a good start. If attention span is your concern, these can be broken down to be as long or short as necessary.
February 10, 2020, 12:02 PM · I would also recommend the Sevcik Op. 8. But, no book or etude series will address the more important topic of shifting mechanics. A private teacher is needed for that. Shifting down is always more difficult than shifting up. Shifting up you have something to push against. Shifting down feels like you are pulling violin out, away from your head. After playing high notes on the E-string, I often dive back, in one motion, to the safe third or first position. Fingerings for going down do not have to be the same as going up.
February 10, 2020, 2:12 PM · If thumb position is the issue, the book or set of exercises won't matter. This needs to be addressed by her teacher. Correct shifting can be taught using any one of a number of etudes or method books.
February 10, 2020, 2:29 PM · She has a teacher and has been shown how to do it correctly; she is just the type of kid who needs to do something a thousand times at minimum before it will get fixed. (Though as I have mentioned in the past, her teacher has never ever assigned her an etude, and we are actively exploring transferring her to the community division of my son's program for a number of reasons.)

In any case, it's really hard to get her to work on something like this unless she has something specific to practice it on, apart from her music. I have Op. 8 and it looks like it would work well for her. They are short enough that she won't get overwhelmed by them.

February 10, 2020, 2:30 PM · Oh, in that case I would use the Whistler books.
February 17, 2020, 1:49 PM · Just this Saturday my teacher showed me a book with parts of Sevcik's Opus 8, but with piano accompaniment. This is a link to Shar's copies of it. Perhaps that would take some of the tedium off.
February 17, 2020, 4:12 PM · @Bart those are really neat! I used some of her books when my kids where 4/5 years old and found them helpful. This one looks equally neat.
Edited: February 17, 2020, 4:26 PM · You can't go wrong with Sevcik. Our orchestra conductor says that's what secured his shifting. He said it's given him, over the years, a big advantage in his orchestral playing since he has more options available to him for fingerings.
February 18, 2020, 9:49 PM · boring but really good: Sevcik Op. 8 (mentioned above) or Yost Positions. I also really like the two whistler introducing the positions books because they have exercises and songs.
February 18, 2020, 9:54 PM · She's doing the Sevcik and so far so good!
February 18, 2020, 11:04 PM · Sevcik op. 8 and Sevcik op. 1 book III. Also numerous exercises out of Fischer's Basics. But they will all be dull, dull, dull.
February 19, 2020, 6:09 AM · Or perhaps those 3-octave scales could be done differently?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe