violin music to give away

February 7, 2020, 2:33 PM · I am a retired string teacher and will be moving out of state soon. I have an extensive collection of sheet music including etudes, studies, as well as classical literature from beginners through middle level pieces (baroque concertos, classical sonatas, etc.) I would love to give this to someone who could use it. Since there is quite a bit, postage would be too high, so it would have to be someone within driving distance of greater Cleveland.
In addition, I have a large collection of instruction books for the Sheila Nelson method also to give away.

Replies (5)

February 7, 2020, 4:13 PM · I can understand your desire to keep it local. I gave away many years of STRAD magazine issues locally after mailing a couple of years worth in a box to someone who responded to my maestronet.com or violinist.com "ad."

It's a lot easier not having to schlep boxes to the post office (I had started subscribing to The STRAD in 1970.) Because STRAD magazine has always contained ads it could not go by media mail, so postage cost about $40, which the recipient reimbursed by PayPal.

When I retired a few years before that (from my technical consultancy - a 2nd retirement for me) I found a colleague on the other side of the country who wanted my "technical library" of papers, reports and books and was willing to pay for shipping. I sent it via MEDIA MAIL (which you can do for printed music) for a total cost of between $400 and $500 after he had reimbursed me ahead of time. The only problem with this is that to mail these boxes you have to take them to the customer counter at the post office - which means they have to be lifted up on to the counter - there were probably 25 boxes of 25 lb each. 15 years ago, still in my 70s, I could do that, I'm not sure I could lift all that stuff that high now.

But it might be worthwhile to find a larger "customer base" if you are willing to do the packing and carrying. (You can weigh the boxes on a bathroom scale to get a preliminary total weight estimate for pricing.)

February 8, 2020, 9:15 PM · Maybe there is a student at CIM nearing graduation who is embarking on a teaching career.
February 9, 2020, 8:07 AM · You could try placing an ad for these items on your local Craigslist site and see if anyone near you would be interested in your music books.
February 9, 2020, 8:20 AM · contact Cleveland School of the Arts - they would probably want it or would know someone who would.
February 18, 2020, 1:20 PM · Thank you all for your useful suggestions. I wound up bringing the repertoire sheet music to the Cleveland School of the Arts and the books about music and music education to the Cleveland Public Library.

Ginny

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe