Korfker shoulder rest adjustment question

Edited: February 4, 2020, 7:46 AM · I picked up one of these for my son at a deep discount over the holidays, and even after watching all the videos and following the instructions, we can't get it adjusted quite right. We've figured out the basic stuff -- correct width, height, etc. But the edge of the wood part is hitting my son exactly on the bone on his shoulder, and I am not sure how to resolve that. Any ideas? Do I need to add one of the fancy attachments?

Replies (9)

February 4, 2020, 9:08 AM · A picture would be really helpful in this case. However, one thing I can add is this: one of the shortcomings of the korfker is that the pad is so minimal. For some, perhaps this is a good thing, but for me personally, I affixed a pad from an Everest rest to it using rubber bands.

If someone has a bony collarbone or just lacks muscle mass around that SR contact area, they generally need a thicker pad to fill in the hills/valleys.

The other option would be to lay a cloth on the shoulder area first, without adding anything to the SR.

February 4, 2020, 9:53 AM · Thank you -- he is definitely a bony, growing 14-year-old! I can try to get a picture but it is kind of a challenging angle on him.
Edited: February 5, 2020, 6:45 AM · The whole idea of the Korfker is that the wood can and should be bent to conform to the shoulder perfectly. If it hits the collar bone, then by adjusting the extra feet that come with it, the wood could be moved away from the bone and still fit perfectly. I have 2 main violins and 2 Korfker rests for each one of them. They have really ended my everlasting search for the perfect SR.

February 5, 2020, 8:24 AM · @kypros What I want to do is move it so that part is higher up on his shoulder. Do I add the extra piece? Which one?
Edited: February 5, 2020, 2:43 PM · From your description, it sounds like you need to tilt it. It's quite hard to describe. You have to angle the base of each leg inwards. Here are a couple of photos that show mine.

Photo 1. Shoulder rest tilt.

Photo 2. Leg angle

p.s. Yes, I use stickers to mark where the shoulder rest goes. :D

February 5, 2020, 4:15 PM · I have a Korfker rest and it took me a very long time to get it into the correct position with the correct tilt. That's the bad news - the good news is that it was definitely worth it.

It's very interesting to look at Stewie's pictures because they show a korfker rest in a pretty similar place to mine. I've been on an 18 month process since I returned to playing to find the ideal setup that allows me to shift confidently and to hold the instrument without tension.

As far as adjustment is concerned, one thing I found was to look at the videos here: Korfker Online Manual and then follow the instructions very precisely.

To move the rest higher up the shoulder will probably require narrowing the legs so that the shoulder leg is closer to the chinrest clamp. By narrowing the rest, you can keep the chest leg in the same place.

Hope that makes sense.

February 5, 2020, 8:44 PM · I have one too and it took me forever to get the right fit! Keep at it, I know it’s frustrating but it will pay off in the end, I promise!
February 6, 2020, 7:40 AM · Thank you so much for the encouragement! We will keep at it. I can definitely tell the sound is better with it, but there is quite a learning curve with the adjustments!
February 6, 2020, 10:52 AM · Sound was surprisingly better on my son's viola, an unexpected additional benefit.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Anne Akiko Meyers
Anne Akiko Meyers

Nathan Cole's Violympics
The Violympic Trials

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe