Money or philanthropy themed music...

January 28, 2020, 6:48 AM · Slightly random question but:

I've been asked to play as an interval act at a online charity fundraising conference.

(Told you it was a random question!)

Anyone know anything in the repertoire at all that has a theme related to money, philanthropy, charity.... that either is or could be arranged for violin, or violin and piano, or violin and random instruments.... ;)

Replies (21)

January 28, 2020, 7:48 AM · The "Barber of Seville" deals with money. Though not at all with charity....

Seriously, you might have better luck looking for musical connections with the purpose for which the charity will collect money. If it is for an animal charity play Saint-Seans "Carnaval des Animaux."

I would just choose something I like and that has a chance to be liked by most of the people who are supposed to give. Come to think of it, Saint-Saens "Swan" fits the bill if you can find a transcription for violin.

January 28, 2020, 8:13 AM · Beethoven's Rondo e capriccio op. 129 "Rage over a lost penny" comes to mind. There even seems to be an arrangement for violin floating around youtube.
January 28, 2020, 11:10 AM · I did a transcription of "Rage Over a Lost Penny" for string quintet and performed it for a year in schools.
Some of the variations with arpeggios are insanely difficult for strings. Had to make some cuts to my own transcription...
Edited: January 29, 2020, 4:14 AM · You folks are all off on the wrong track. Most major money donors are rather aged, and will be most stimulated by music which reminds them of their early wild (sexual) experiences.

This doesn't come from me, but was something passed on to me by a very successful musician.

January 28, 2020, 1:29 PM · There are a number of well-known orchestral pieces composed for charity events (Marche Slave comes to mind), but I can't think of anything for violin or any kind of chamber ensemble.
January 28, 2020, 1:32 PM · Oh, Weber's one-act opera Abu Hassan is about money and some selections could easily be arranged for violin. But, like Barber of Seville, it's not so much about philanthropy.
January 28, 2020, 2:40 PM · https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0044726
January 28, 2020, 4:51 PM · The popular song “We’re in the money” would work well for violin and piano.
January 29, 2020, 11:41 AM · https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0044895
January 29, 2020, 11:47 AM · If I were a rich man... (Fiddler on the Roof)
January 29, 2020, 1:00 PM · I agree with Albrecht.
January 29, 2020, 6:48 PM · https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BYzaDwNoE
Edited: January 30, 2020, 9:56 AM · Sorry, but "If I Were A Rich Man" ain't going convince the most prolific classical music donors, the majority of whom are female and over 60, to get very excited.

Stephen's link would probably be a better strategy. This kind of stuff still gets seventy-year-old rich women throwing their room keys onto the stage. ;-)

January 30, 2020, 10:12 AM · "Most major money donors are rather aged, and will be most stimulated by music which reminds them of their early wild (sexual) experiences."

Wow.

I was thinking more along the lines of "The Old Gray Mare."

January 30, 2020, 4:14 PM · And how do you know that wouldn't fit?
January 30, 2020, 5:08 PM · I concur with David Burgess. Go for nostalgia music.
January 31, 2020, 7:43 AM · Money, money, money (Abba). Not very melodic for a violin arrangement, but might be able to do something with the rhythmic accompaniment, depending on the backing that's available.
February 1, 2020, 4:28 AM · thanks for the ideas :)

(just to be clear it's a conference for fundraisers, not for donors - not much of the audience will be over 70, and none of them will be rich ; ) )

February 1, 2020, 12:35 PM · Probably the best known music that was written for charity is Handel's Messiah.
Or you could arrange "O mio babbino caro" (or read it directly from a piano-accompanied vocal score) from Gianni Schichi. The aria isn't so much about money, but the rest of the opera is, and about robbing a charity (not one I'd dream of giving to!), too.
February 1, 2020, 4:00 PM · This is a stretch, but I believe that Haydn's Symphony #45 "Farewell Symphony" was written as a response to a bit of a labor dispute with Prince Esterhazy
February 3, 2020, 5:36 AM · Brahms's 4th Ernste Gesang is about charity.
And Lehar's Gold and Silver Waltz harks back to an ancient type of money.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe