Labeling music stands

January 27, 2020, 2:39 PM · I loan out my music stands pretty frequently, and I want to ensure that each of them (and their constituent parts, if applicable) has a label with my name and contact information.

The label should stay reliably affixed to a Manhasset or Peak stand. I'd like it to be discrete but reasonably elegant -- a black gloss background with gold/silver lettering preferred.

I use sites like NameBubbles to do labels for the approximately one zillion things that I have to label for school/camp for my kid, but they don't have anything that looks professional.

Alternatively, if you've found a good permanent marker solution, I'm not averse to doing that instead.

Any suggestions?

Replies (22)

Edited: January 27, 2020, 3:30 PM · Basically what you want is an address label and then just secure that by taping over it nicely with packing tape.

To make them smaller, consider Avery labels with just your name and phone number or email address. These too must be overtaped because the adhesive of the label will not be adequate on its own. MS Word has templates for Avery labels or you can get them online from Avery.

For anything black like a Peak or Manhasset stand, you can also just write on it with a silver Sharpie pen and that's pretty durable. My daughter decorated all over the desk of her Peak stand with her silver Sharpie. But then it looks handwritten.

If you go to a store where they make award plaques, they can make an adhesive label for you in engraved brass or stainless steel. Usually the adhesive on the back of those is pretty good. Or you can ask for it with no adhesive, and then just use Super 77 when you get it home. That's the expensive option but it'll definitely be the most elegant.

But really, I have to say, that the best label of all time is the original Dymo labeler -- the one that punches white lettering into a strip of red plastic tape. That device is simply beyond reproach.

January 27, 2020, 4:21 PM · My stands have a thick strip of masking tape on the underside of the music ledge, with GOREE handwritten in black sharpie. Elegant it is not, but it doesn't show to an audience, and it does the job.
January 27, 2020, 5:44 PM · I just have an address label with "Malcolm" written on it.
Under the sort of shelf of the stand.
As Mary Ellen says, it doesn't show in use.
January 27, 2020, 6:25 PM · Is engraving too permanent ? I have a cheap engraver ( that I never use) - have no idea where it came from. You would probably need to practice a bit first.
January 27, 2020, 8:27 PM · I print my email address, cut out the rectangle, and fasten it a few places on the stand. Scotch tape. This is a Peak stand so one on the removable shelf, on on the back (but facing the player) and one on a leg.
January 27, 2020, 8:33 PM · Stephen's method is how we label chemicals in the lab. Works great. Interesting that labels written in pencil remain legible longer than those written in pen.
Edited: January 27, 2020, 10:23 PM · I would conceal a GPS tracking device on each music stand you loan out. Then you could send an email to the borrower from an anonymous email address that says something like "Ahem, did you forget to return the music stand that someone generously loaned to you, and that's in the back of your car right now, parked near the intersection of First and Maple Streets? It sure would be a shame if someone had to ask their cousin Vinny to go and ask nicely for you to return it. Capiche?"
January 27, 2020, 10:23 PM · Hah. Thanks for the suggestions thus far!
January 28, 2020, 12:35 AM · uhm, I do label my stuff but now I realise it's not elegant at all. I bought really really pink tape en marked everything with that. I have written my name on it, and on the expensive things also my email adress. Not elegant but very effective and very 'me' ;)
January 28, 2020, 5:44 AM · Spend $30 on a ribbon-label printer from Brother or Dymo and another $10 on a gold-on-black ribbon cartridge.

Use the rest of the ribbon violin case, music stand, laptop, cupboard shelves, metronome, power bricks, and any other objects that you tend to misplace or forget what they are for. You'll be surprised how many things can use a label.

January 28, 2020, 6:23 AM · I always crack up when I see the stencil spray-painted Blue Devil on a lot of the Duke rehearsal room stands.
January 28, 2020, 9:03 AM · Hah. I do own a label printer as I label every light switch in the house, and when my son was a baby, every drawer, container etc. to keep my husband organized.
January 28, 2020, 10:45 AM · I would do the reverse, black lettering on gold using gold foil laser printer labels. This way I can have full name and address on a small elegant sticky label.
Edited: January 28, 2020, 12:37 PM · The reason university stands have such obnoxious stencil lettering is because stenciling is easy and it deters theft. If you want to repaint the Manhasset stand that you stole from Duke University (just a random example! LOL!!) then the paint you want is Rust-Oleum No. 7220830 Textured Black spray paint. It restores Manhasset stands like nothing else.
January 28, 2020, 1:39 PM · Yeah, I lose a lot of respect for colleagues when I see that "their" stand at the gig says University of Michigan [or other famous music school]

Theft is theft.

Edited: January 28, 2020, 1:54 PM · I like to etch "Stolen from David Burgess" into everything I lend, using a "Burgess vibrotool", of course. This seems to give lent items a good and quick return rate.

Sadly, Burgess vibrotools are no longer available, new. The one I bought about 30 years ago is etched with "Ann Arbor Police Department". I'll probably end up in jail for possession of this, sooner or later. LOL

January 28, 2020, 1:55 PM · Spray paint and stencil would be my first choice for my Manhassets, too. :-)
January 28, 2020, 2:10 PM · You guys need to start a new thread: "Stealing music stands."
January 28, 2020, 2:15 PM · I have sheets of small labels (about 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches), designed to be run through a laser printer for return address labels. I just write my name on one with a Sharpie and stick it to the pole. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done without being too obtrusive.
January 28, 2020, 2:21 PM · I used a marker pen on one of mine more recently, I have a music stand covered in dolphin stickers (I have had it since I was 7 or so), and another music stand with a blob of nail varnish on the underside the the music holding ledge bit, to signify that it is mine. The nail varnish is quite effective, it just doesn't come off!
January 28, 2020, 9:59 PM · Given how inflated tuition is nowadays, they should hand out those stenciled music stands with the diplomas at graduation.
January 29, 2020, 9:20 AM · One thing I've learned about being in a university orchestra where all the stands are Manhasset -- even though the Manhasset stand is a very good quality stand, it needs help sometimes. So, I try to keep a small adjustable wrench in my case so that I can tighten up the base and the desk. I even helped out my teacher one day doing that.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe