Wieniawski 2 Difficulty

January 24, 2020, 7:02 PM · Hi all. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the Wieniawski Violin Concerto No. 2. I recently discovered the piece and have sort of fallen in love with it and I was just curious as to how difficult the it is relative to some of the more well-known concertos so that I can figure out how realistic it is to expect to learn it in the near future. Thanks!

Replies (7)

January 24, 2020, 7:16 PM · On a scale of 1-10 I’d say it’s about a 7 in difficulty.
January 24, 2020, 7:35 PM · From what I've heard it's comparable to Lalo, harder than Bruch, not as hard as Mendelssohn. That's if we're talking first movements.
January 24, 2020, 8:31 PM · Harder than Bruch. Slightly easier than Lalo, I think -- lies better in the hand, but the first movement does have an annoying tenth.
January 25, 2020, 12:41 AM · Definitely harder than Bruch. I find the first movement of Lalo to be easier than the first movement of Wieniawski #2, which I think is closer to Mendelssohn.
January 25, 2020, 12:25 PM · The first movement is not hard, other than a few tricky spots like the 10ths and upbow staccato. Definitely harder than Bruch or Lalo first movement from a purely technical point of view; probably comparable to Mendelssohn or St. Saens. Musically easier than Lalo or Mendelssohn, in my opinion. The third movement of Wieniawski 2 is a tricky little bugger that requires a lot of good bow arm control to get the right bow strokes. Notewise it isn't that hard, but maintaining the bow stroke, getting the upbow staccato, and playing up to tempo are hard.
Edited: January 25, 2020, 8:31 PM · What 10ths are you referring to in Wieniawski 2’s first movement?

John: There are graded repertoire lists that you can look up online. Wieniawski #2 is considered advanced violin repertoire. Within the advanced level, it’s somewhere in the middle, with Bruch being early advanced, and Sibelius and Bartok 2 towards the upper end.

The relative difficulties of concertos also depend on the individual. What might be hard for some students might not be for others. My experience learning Wieniawski 2’s third movement was the opposite of the above description. And the difficulties of individual movements also vary. For me, the second movement of Bruch was technically harder than the second movement of Wieniawski, but people usually aren't referring to second movements when they discuss a concerto.

January 25, 2020, 9:01 PM · There's a single tenth just after [K] in the first movement of Wieniawski 2. It's easily faked as an octave if need be.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe