Alpine mutes

Edited: January 24, 2020, 10:59 AM · I see that I've got an Alpine (Menuhin Shield) violin mute bookmarked on Amazon. Should I buy it or delete the bookmark?

Replies (10)

January 24, 2020, 10:35 AM · I've become convinced that the Wiessmeyer 3D printed mute is a much better mute than my Alpine (which I bought to replace my Menuhin Shield).

https://smile.amazon.com/Prizma-Square-Mute-for-Violin/dp/B07Y13Z8KN/

The Prizma model is basically the same form factor. It sits securely on the string and does not rattle. You can either just push it forward to touch the bridge for a moderate muting effect, or push-and-raise to clip it over the bridge for more of a muting effect. On and off is very fast. Nicer tone than the Alpine. Not too expensive. Hands down winner.

Edited: January 24, 2020, 12:03 PM · I’ve seen peoples violins destroyed by the bridge falling and the mute going through. I love my polymute.
January 24, 2020, 11:00 AM · I've edited the OP. Sorry for the confusion.
January 24, 2020, 11:43 AM · I have one, and it is alright. I don't use it very often, so I plan to keep it. It's a pain to take on and off though (and I prefer to keep it off unless I plan to use it).
January 24, 2020, 12:22 PM · The Wiessmeyer 3D printed mute Prizma square looks interesting, too bad that in Canada it is costing close to $40 after everything (shipping, tax, conversion) is added up.
January 24, 2020, 12:49 PM · I agree with Lydia, The Wiessmeyer 3D printed mute is a much better mute.
Edited: January 24, 2020, 5:50 PM · The Wiessmeyer series has lots of good options. I personally like the one-hole Tourte model. Easy on and off, and it provides a huge multiple of muting over the cheap rubber ones. Great for orchestras.

Or for solo work (and practicing in a hotel), the traditional fully-removable ones are quite effective.

January 25, 2020, 12:20 AM · So about the Prizma Square mute, they can come in different colors? I was looking at this website where they said that. https://store.fisherviolins.com/Prizma-Square-Violin-Mute-p/kdrsqpv.htm

Just curious, Lydia, what color(s) is yours?

Edited: January 25, 2020, 1:02 AM · Red - Purple - Blue - Teal - Black, in the Square variant of the mute. I picked the colors out when ordering from the website directly. A distinctive look -- easy to find in my case -- without really standing out when seen from the audience.
January 25, 2020, 3:55 AM · Lydia: "I've become convinced that the Wiessmeyer 3D printed mute is a much better mute than my Alpine (which I bought to replace my Menuhin Shield)." I misread this - I thought it meant you had bought a MS to replace an A. Now I realise it can mean that you bought the W to replace the AMS, hence my amendment to the OP and my, possibly still continuing, confusion!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe