Recommended pieces for competition!

January 23, 2020, 7:54 PM · Hi! I just need some help and tips from you guys to give me suggestions of pieces that I should bring for my competition. I am preparing Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso , Bach Presto and Rode No.11 , but they gave an average performance time limit , so I need another piece. I was thinking of Ysaye Sonata No.2 Obsession and Paganini La Campanella (Kreisler ver.). Which piece should I take? Thanks for your comments!

Replies (18)

Edited: January 23, 2020, 8:27 PM · I think this is a tough question to answer since we know very little about this competition (i.e. what the requirements are and the level of playing it attracts). Assuming it is a high level competition, I would urge you to view every piece as an opportunity to showcase a different aspect of your playing. There should be a distinct reason you choose each piece. You've already chosen a showpiece (Intro and rondo capriccioso), a virtuostic movement of Bach filled with sixteenth notes, and an etude (the Rode).

To me, your remaining options don't add much else to your palette. The Ysaye is also a bunch of sixteenth notes, and you've already shown you can phrase through such passages in your Bach presto. The Rode and Intro+Rondo have given you the chance to show off technically, and the Paganini would also be flashy. I would recommend something a little more lyrical (unless you don't feel like it's a strength for you and you are consciously avoiding repertoire like that). A slow movement of a larger work or a serenade perhaps? You have a lot of fast music here and it might be nice to play something slow to show the judges you also have control in addition to dexterity and facility. Best of luck to you!

Edited: January 23, 2020, 8:45 PM · For the requirements , they requested for pieces that are equivalent to the Trinity Diploma Atcl to Ltcl pieces. Just as you have suggested , maybe Franck Sonata or Brahms Sonata can fit well?
January 23, 2020, 10:51 PM · What does your teacher suggest for the rest of the program? Has your teacher given you a couple of options? What are they?
January 25, 2020, 4:18 AM · She just told me to try some pieces on my own choice , and she will pick the one that is comfortable in the next lesson
January 25, 2020, 12:20 PM · Looking at that program, I would say to fill in the gaps of what is not covered, which would either be something classical, modern, or something lyrical (though you get a bit of that in the St. Saens). Neither of the pieces you suggested brings anything particularly new to the table.
January 26, 2020, 12:22 AM · I am not much a classical fan , I thought of Gershwin Summertime (Heifetz) and even Hubay "Hejre Kati" , maybe they are much more lyrical?
January 26, 2020, 12:29 AM · I'd suggest something 20th century, as a contrast to the rest of your program. Maybe the Szymanowski Mythes?
January 26, 2020, 10:37 AM · One of the lovely short Mozart works could be nice like the rondo or adagio works for violin and orchestra.
Edited: January 26, 2020, 10:47 AM · Brahms or Franck sonata could be good choices. Syzmanowski Mythes are nice too - it still allows you to show off technically while not being another outright "showpiece" (i.e. technically difficult musically simple). I think the piece you choose should be one that allows you to explore different colors within your tone, as the Bach and Rode limit what you can do in this capacity. Hubay is another (albeit less difficult) "showpiece", and the Gershwin makes for a great recital encore but is probably not a great competition piece. If you're not super keen on 20th century (if you are, see Lydia's suggestion), maybe Beethoven Romance in F or Dvorak Romance? I don't feel you need more virtuosity from your program, but maybe something that lets you dig in a little bit, if you catch my meaning.
January 26, 2020, 12:10 PM · Victor, what is your time limit for this piece? Gershwin Summertime, Hubay, and Paganini La Campanella (Kreisler) are less than 6 minutes. Most violin sonatas, including those by Brahms and Franck, require at least 20 minutes.

Other shorter pieces to consider: Tchaikovsky Meditation, Tchaikovsky Melodie, or Kreisler Caprice Viennois.

Edited: January 26, 2020, 9:49 PM · Basically , I need to play 20 minutes . I have Bach presto (approx. 3min) , Saint-Saëns Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso (approx 10min) , so I need a piece about 6min . I tried listening to Syzmanowski Myths but I find the melody a bit wierd (maybe it's just that I don't really know how to listen it ). Dvorak and Beethoven Romance are great pieces , but it exceeded 6 min. How about Chopin Nocturne? (Sarasate)
January 27, 2020, 2:37 AM · Or the Milstein arrangement of the Chopin c#-minor Nocturne.
January 27, 2020, 3:57 AM · Ohhh that's a great piece too thanks!
January 27, 2020, 10:11 AM · That doesn't give you anything that the Intro portion of the I&RC doesn't already give you. The point of doing a more contemporary work is to demonstrate your ability to play music of that sort. (Yes, the Szymanowski is "weird", because it's not traditionally tonal.) Perhaps even a sonata by Prokofiev or Shostakovich, to demonstrate some range.
January 27, 2020, 7:23 PM · I get your point now. Sorry , as I am an inexperienced student , I am still learning how things work and getting the hang of it . Once again thanks!
January 27, 2020, 7:39 PM · Wieniawski polonaise in D major op 4 could also be a good one. Only about 5 minutes and is a good show piece. I’m doing it for the end of my junior recital.
January 28, 2020, 7:22 PM · Chopin Prelude in C Minor might be interesting.
January 29, 2020, 4:42 PM · If you want to edge into the 20th century, the Ysaye will get you there and has 4 movements to choose from. So if need be, you could pick the characteristic of your playing you would most want to highlight.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe