Need Help Choosing Next Piece!

Edited: January 20, 2020, 3:47 PM · Hey All! I am wrapping up Introduction & Rondo Cappricioso and now I need a concerto to work on. I have played Bruch and Mozart 4 and since I am a sophomore in high school, I need to start building my rep. Here is a clip of the end of my IR&C:

https://youtu.be/fpDScpJY2cc

Let me know what pieces you think would be good! Thanks!

Replies (13)

January 20, 2020, 4:11 PM · Lalo.
January 20, 2020, 5:09 PM · Hmm. Thanks for posting the video; it was informative. Seems like the I&RC is a bit of a struggle; that's below performance tempo and it's still kind of scrambling, with the left and right hands not entirely properly coordinated, and the upper position work not secure.

Maybe Zigeunerweisen, or the Sarasate Intro & Tarantella, or Wieniawski 2.

Edited: January 20, 2020, 5:14 PM · Agreed, Lalo. Wieniawski 2 might work also. You need to slow down, clean up your intonation, and get your hands working better together.

Here are some smaller pieces that would be good for you as well if you haven’t done them already: Bartok Rumanian Dances, Sarasate Romanza Andaluza, maybe Paganini 16 done under tempo, or the Kreisler-Mozart Rondo (can’t think of the official title off the top of my head).

Edited: January 20, 2020, 5:40 PM · I believe it is the Rondo (Mvt. 4) from the D Major ("Haffner") Serenade K250. I tried working it up last year. Lots of good YouTube videos. I could get it to a certain point, but it's just not going to be clean. It's one hell of a lot harder than it looks. That whole "hands working together" thing is definitely well-tested with that piece. All I'll say is "good luck." It's kind of an ironic experience -- you find yourself wishing more of the piece could be as easy as the cadenzas.
January 20, 2020, 6:05 PM · Lalo or Wieniawski 2 are both good choices, though probably only selected movements. Maybe also 3rd movement of Mendelssohn (and then come back to first mvmt eventually)?
January 20, 2020, 8:06 PM · The Rondo Cappuccino is a hard piece.
Edited: January 20, 2020, 8:36 PM · When I suggested Wieniawski 2, I was specifically thinking about the third movement. I made my suggestions with the thought of heavy-spiccato pieces. Wieniawski Scherzo-Tarantelle might be useful for that too, along with more shifting security.

Sammy, you're still in a pedagogical stage of learning repertoire, from the sound of your playing. Your teacher should be choosing pieces based on the need to work on specific skills.

A steady diet of daily Schradieck and Sevcik, done with a metronome, would do you some good.

January 20, 2020, 10:24 PM · Thank you everyone! My teacher is leaning towards wieniawski 2 (first mov). I really like the dvorak concerto so I was going to ask him to consider that, I do not know where that stands.
January 20, 2020, 10:28 PM · Dvorak is very difficult and is much harder then Wieniawski 2. The opening is a motif in thirds up to a very high e I believe and then it’s a variation up to that just to about the highest pitch the violin produces. Needless to say that work is wildly difficult.
January 20, 2020, 10:43 PM ·
January 20, 2020, 10:46 PM · You aren't ready for Dvorak. Honestly I would not have given a student at your level the Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, though you clearly worked hard to learn it and I am sure made some good progress.

Scherzo Tarantelle is harder than one might think, and not a piece I would give you at this point. Third movement of Mendelssohn (mentioned above) is a good suggestion.

Actually, I think the Conus concerto would be just right.

January 20, 2020, 11:28 PM · Dvorak is harder than the baseline tier of the Romantic concertos (Bruch Mendelssohn etc.), and much more difficult than you can handle, I think, especially if your teacher has the habit of assigning the whole work. (The third movement is significantly more difficult than the first movement.)

I found the Scherzo-Tarantelle to be quite difficult, but I think I had an unusual amount of difficulty with it.

January 21, 2020, 5:37 AM · Lydia wrote

"When I suggested Wieniawski 2, I was specifically thinking about the third movement. I made my suggestions with the thought of heavy-spiccato pieces. Wieniawski Scherzo-Tarantelle might be useful for that too, along with more shifting security."

I might add Sinding Suite Op 10 presto on top of this. It is relatively an easier piece. My daughter was given this to improve her technique and coordination while working for Wieniawski no2 (3rd movement) and Zigeunerwiesen (molto vivace part). It worked wonders...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe