Is anyone applying for Meadowmount 2020??

January 19, 2020, 8:23 PM · Hi everyone!

My name is Kathryn and I'm a 15 year old cellist. I am applying for Meadowmount School of Music this year and I'm really excited! There hasn't been any discussions about meadowmount in over 6 years on this website (as far as I can see) and I'm just wondering if anyone else from violinist.com is applying this year as well!? Also, to those of you who have attended in the past, do you have any advice about auditioning? I'm doing my audition tape on January 23rd (this Thursday) and I'm absolutely terrified...

thank you!!

p.s. is the food really as bad as everyone says it is? I'm a vegetarian:)

Replies (11)

January 19, 2020, 8:45 PM · https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/29055/

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/26358/

Edited: January 20, 2020, 11:14 AM · Hi - my son considered it and decided against it for a number of reasons, but one being the food (he is also vegetarian plus has severe food allergies). He ended up going to Center Stage Strings last year and will go back this year. It's like the kinder gentler more cozy version of Meadowmount -- just as much playing, the playing level for 12-16 year olds is actually higher than Meadowmount, and great food options. The staff there was amazing with accommodating allergies and special diets.
January 20, 2020, 11:49 AM · You can always bring a hot pot with you. Amazing the variety of instant dals that are available.
Edited: January 20, 2020, 1:40 PM · I went there last year and the year before. Yes the food is almost inedible, regardless if you are a vegetarian or not (I am not myself). The rules are almost out of control but I grew so much both years I was there. I think I have done my time there and will be going elsewhere this summer but I still highly recommend it.
January 20, 2020, 6:16 PM · Hey that sounds fun. good luck. I don’t really know much about that, how hard is it to get in? I can play the first movement of bruch ok (i think) and I would play a bach partita. is it realistic to apply? I am hoping to major in music.
January 20, 2020, 8:41 PM · It's not so much a question of what you're playing as how well you're playing it. Your teacher should have some notion. (If your teacher generally doesn't send students to camps like Meadowmount, that suggests no, it might not be realistic.)
Edited: January 22, 2020, 1:25 PM · Just got done with this.
January 20, 2020, 9:32 PM · @Stan she sounds great! And she wins on faces. :) I hope she gets to play with my son some day...they would have a blast together.
January 20, 2020, 9:39 PM · Thank you Susan! It's such a small world it would not surprise me a bit if they do play together sometime during high school.
January 21, 2020, 11:45 AM · @JohannDeCambrio I would say to go ahead and apply. The worst that can happen is that you don't get in!
January 21, 2020, 11:04 PM · ok! thanks. will do.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe