Cost of pearl slide for frog?

January 18, 2020, 11:11 AM · How much does it cost to get a replacement pearl slide for the bottom of the frog, pearl circular slide for the adjuster, and another small pearl slide for the back of the frog (perpendicular to the main pearl slide on the bottom)?

I'm hoping the whole procedure doesn't cost more than 200usd...

Replies (11)

January 18, 2020, 12:43 PM · That price sounds reasonable. Depending on your region, and quality of work in your area a slide could run $50 - $100, pearl eye $35-$50 and pearl heel plate about another $50 - $100. You'll also then need to factor in the cost of a rehair, cause they will have to remove the hair to access the slide.
January 18, 2020, 12:43 PM · That price sounds reasonable. Depending on your region, and quality of work in your area a slide could run $50 - $100, pearl eye $35-$50 and pearl heel plate about another $50 - $100. You'll also then need to factor in the cost of a rehair, cause they will have to remove the hair to access the slide.
January 18, 2020, 3:10 PM · I had the slide recently replaced on my Sartory for $100. The pearl eye and heel should be less.
Edited: January 19, 2020, 2:02 PM · I would consider the prices mentioned so far to be rather low, for top quality work. While there is probably someone somewhere who will replace a pearl slide for five bucks, I wouldn't expect to be happy with the outcome.

Replacing a pearl slide on a bow, particularly on an old one, so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb, is no piece of cake!

January 19, 2020, 2:09 PM · If you're short on cash and want to try your hand at DIY, you could go to any good woodworking shop and buy 3 feet of pearl slide material and an ebony veneer for something like $40 (at least, based on my experience) and try making your own. Then you'd have quite a few chances to get it right!
January 19, 2020, 2:52 PM · You're talking about artificial Pearl, not real , real doesn't come in 3ft lengths!!
Edited: January 19, 2020, 4:10 PM · Agreed. There aren't a lot of three-to-thirty foot oysters, except in Hollywood horror films. ;-)
Edited: January 19, 2020, 5:08 PM · David, in the films mentioned, do these oisters swallow their victims, or do their greedy victims die from asphyxia by trying to swallow the oversized oysters?
January 19, 2020, 6:13 PM · Nuuska, if I told you, it would ruin the suspense of the movie ;-)
January 20, 2020, 12:19 PM · Well, yes, obviously. Isn't it about time to go vegan, though?
Edited: January 21, 2020, 11:51 AM · Go vegan? Would that apply to people, or the people-eating monster oysters?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe