Concerning the G String...

January 17, 2020, 9:33 PM · I noticed something and it is that the g-string in my violin it's in a way "weaker" than the other strings, or in other words, less resistance to pressure. The thing is that, when in heavy stress or when i apply a big pressure over it, the pitch of the note gets like a lot sharper, and i tried it with my tuner and the difference it's about 30 hz. But when I apply the same pressure to the other 3 strings, their pitch doesn't change such a lot as the G, instead the max variation is 3hz, and it's catching my atention. Do you guys have the same "issue" or I'm the only one? With this problem, i can't even tune the G in 442 and i need to tune it a quarter tone flat so when i apply pressure it sounds right, because like i play a G Major chord and it is kind of dissonant(like, the chord in the start of the Mozart's 3rd) Also, how do you guys get over this problem?

Replies (12)

Edited: January 18, 2020, 10:57 AM · The G-string should be louder than the D string. If the pitch changes when you try to play loud it is probably too light a gauge.
January 18, 2020, 12:58 AM · Are you using steel core strings?
January 18, 2020, 5:32 AM · simplest possibility that your string is simply worn out? how old is it? other than that: when you press more you also have to either increase the bow speed, or move the soundpoint towards the bridge. simply increasing pressure alone without changing the other two factors will certainly warp the frequency. on the E-string there is a well-known gimmick that illustrates that (playing the first five notes of "Fuer Elise" on the open E string).
January 18, 2020, 10:51 AM · And here I was thinking this was about concert attire.

Adjustment and interplay between strings are important; changing the E string, for example, can affect how the G behaves. Still if you're changing pitch for no reason it is either worn out or the wrong construction.

What brands/gauges are each of the strings? And how long have you used this particular set?

January 18, 2020, 6:06 PM · Well, My standard stringset is Dominants for the G, D, and A, and a Pirastro Wondertone Gold Labeled E (tho for now i'm trying the Dominant' E, i'm not liking it very much). I have not changed all the 4 strings at the same time in a long time, i change 1 at the time, particullary the g string it might be old now, 4 months already but i don't think it's this the problem: i get this problem with every G no matter the brand or antiquity because i get the same issue with new strings and of other brands (i got the same with chromcor, tonica and vision), but never varying the gauge. I'll try that. Thanks for the reply!
January 18, 2020, 6:12 PM · Do you have the same issue if you substitute bow speed for bow pressure? Might also want to check the string height [setup] at the nut and FB end to see if that string is unusually high.
Are you unintentionally stretching the string sideways with your left fingers?
Edited: January 18, 2020, 7:19 PM · I wonder if the G string has not been broken in properly, so as a result sounding a little dull, or lacking in power or brilliance.

The string maker Warchal explains, in this link
https://www.warchal.com/timbre-strings.html#timbre3
how a new string can be broken in and attain its proper potential very quickly. They are discussing their top-of-range string set (Timbre), which I have yet to use, but I have used their system to break in their Amber set, and it works. Give it a try.

This link also links to useful (I would say essential) advice on how to look after strings: https://shop.warchal.com/blogs/what-s-the-best-way-to-care-for-our-strings

January 18, 2020, 11:35 PM · Thanks Trevor! This material seems very good, next time I change strings i'll try it, but i don't think it's a matter of string not breaking in properly because it's a bit old, I said like 4 months of use now. I don't think i'm stretching the string with my left hand because it happens also in open strings. And i've checked and the string is at the same height as the others. But i don't know if for the effect is the same bow speed as pressure. I'll test that. Thanks Michael also!
January 19, 2020, 3:00 PM · Plain Dominants shouldn't show that kind of trouble. Perhaps your bridge is badly shaped, or needs to be positioned differently? Have you run this all by a luthier?
January 19, 2020, 5:05 PM · Someone remarked on this forum some time ago that Warchal strings are Dominants that have gone to college!
January 19, 2020, 7:50 PM · I suggest taking your instrument to your luthier for diagnosis. It could be that your soundpost needs adjustment. In any event, the luthier can probably give you a better idea of what the problem is if not the soundest, e.g., age of string or something else wrong with the string itself.
January 20, 2020, 6:15 PM · It needs to be wider in Miami where a hotter moon rises two knight.

Oh how anti- Dean Wormer of me !

I know- you don't understand my GI burrish….

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Violin Pedagogy Symposium
Violin Pedagogy Symposium

Masterclass Al-Andalus
Masterclass Al-Andalus

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe