Strings

January 17, 2020, 7:09 PM · I am trying out Vision Solo and Evah Pirazzi Gold strings, and the Pirazzi instructions mentioned that sound quality is reduced if the strings are put on and off multiple times- I was planning on doing that as a test. Why is this true? Is the effect very noticeable?

Additionally, when tuning I really like to mess with each peg every time, going below the note then bending it up, even if it sounds all right beforehand. I like to do this because I enjoy the practice of hearing the notes become in tune. Is it bad to have the strings pulled out of tune and then back in even if it is always not quite necessary? I use pencil lead on the points of friction and my bridge is straight.

Replies (7)

January 17, 2020, 7:09 PM · Thanks!
Edited: January 17, 2020, 8:36 PM · Personally I don't think it is a good idea to tune the strings too sharp, but I love to tune them a bit low and then slide them up to pitch with my Knilling or Peghed (Internally geared) pegs.

I have been known to move strings around between instruments, not all that much, although I just did it 2 weeks ago with a cello Larsen A string after it had been off the instrument for a few years.

Our niece who was an extremely fine violinist used to use one of her violins to pre-stretch strings for her main instrument.

If you do these things enough times and it is detrimental you will find out. It is no problem if you can afford the results.

I used to give strings I had removed from my own instruments to other players and to some of my student. I think the results were OK since I removed my strings before I could detect that they had gone bad.

January 18, 2020, 12:30 AM · Don't intentionally tune too sharp. When putting on a new string, do it last thing in the evening, take it up to 1/2 step flat, then finish tuning the next day. what really bothers me is when I see people pulling strings sideways as a way to fine tune (flatten?) instead of using the peg. It doesn't work very well and can't be any good for the string.
January 18, 2020, 12:01 PM · Those strings are made from synthetic polymers which exhibit various types of "permanent plastic" deformation behaviour when stretched.

Tuning and then completely relaxing some of these polymers repeatedly results in a narrowing of the string at various points that can eventually lead to the string breaking before it can reach the tuning frequency.

It is important not to generalize the behavior of one type of synthetic string to all synthetic strings. There is a large selection of modern polymers to choose from, and they can have dramatically different plastic deformation behaviors. Best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

January 18, 2020, 6:56 PM · Joel, why do you wait for the next day to finish tuning? Does this help the string to settle in a bit quicker?
Edited: January 19, 2020, 4:38 AM · Catherine, I think it is a good idea to let the string settle in over night (or 2 or 3 hours if over night is inconvenient) before doing the final tune-up, because the string needs time to settle on the peg - there is usually some degree of slippage and stretching on the peg with a new string.
January 18, 2020, 7:41 PM · C. J. -- I try to change strings after the last playing even in the day. I don't know if makes a difference to start a 1/2 step low, it just seems to work for me. thanks, jq

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Anne Akiko Meyers
Anne Akiko Meyers

Nathan Cole's Violympics
The Violympic Trials

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe