My new years resolution

Edited: January 17, 2020, 5:40 PM · I decided that this year will finally be the year when I get around to practicing intonation (particularly in double-stops), so I started recording myself playing scales every day. I'm trying to follow a few simple rules:

a) Record something every day and make it public.
b) Every recording should be with a metronome.
c) Start with easier scales and move on to longer and harder ones
d) When I start to lose patience with a scale, I take the best recording I can get, even if it's not perfect, and move on.

I've censored my face and changed my name because I don't want either out there on the internet. Apologies if it bothers anyone.

Take a look, take a listen. I welcome any and all criticism!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj1892ziXfyJc7Qtoy11xVspoT4_FVjRv

Replies (3)

Edited: January 17, 2020, 7:42 PM · Hey, that's pretty cool!

Disclaimer- I am not an expert.

I looked at your video for the 17th and I really liked your smooth bow arm. The intense focus evident is admirable. The notes were for the most part in tune, though occasionally I would check one by one with a tuner. This sort of practice can be monotonous and boring, but it can also be a time to feel deep meditation, a time to understand the beauty of sound. Try to feel each and every sound that you create, maybe make them more connected, rather that stand alone. Not only should you focus on the in tune-ness, you should focus on small scratches from the bow, or moments of sound indecision.

What scale book or program are you using? I would like to do something similar.

Your form looks awesome, what chin rest do you like? I am working on not using a shoulder rest as I have had some issues, and I am currently trying a bunch of different chin rests, in case it makes it easier. Just curious as what kind works for you.

I watched a few more videos, and you seem quite tentative. Intonation is important, and also try to be more confident. Also the shifts could be a little smoother and more relaxed. Finally, you could make sure your hand does not collapse when you are trying to be more in tune. This will come with more confidence.

One more idea- look where your bow hair meets the string. Make sure the bow is straight, and that it is at a place where you want to be playing. Sometimes your bow wandered close to the fingerboard. With double stops make sure the bow plays the same pressure on both strings.

Nice job.

January 18, 2020, 6:21 AM · Hey Johann thanks for your detailed input! I've put your comments on my list of things to work on, and I'm going to try to figure out which problem is causing the others. Your point about my hand collapsing in particular was helpful, as I think it points to a lack of structure in my left arm. I hope when you check back in next time some of those problems are fixed!

I'm not currently following any book, but I do have an excel spreadsheet with a hierarchy of scales that I'm working my way through. When I do need to reference a scale book, I use the Auer "Graded Course of Violin Playing." The scales are at the end of books 6 and 7. As for the chin rest, I use the one that was on the fiddle when I bought it!

January 19, 2020, 3:12 AM · Hi Artem, with double stops you actually need to put most of the bow weight on the lower string and play lighter on the higher string. This improves tone quality and will help your intonation issue.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe