Summer Festivals/Camps for College students

January 16, 2020, 9:47 PM · Hello!
I’m a sophomore violin performance major in a music program at a medium sized state university in Indiana. I’m looking for summer camps/festivals that aren’t too far away that aren’t super competitive. I currently only know of one held here at my university by my teacher and her colleagues, but that’s primarily chamber music. I was wondering if any exist somewhat close to Indiana that I could realistically consider.

Replies (10)

Edited: January 17, 2020, 7:43 AM · The fact is, you've aged out of camps like Interlochen and Blue Lake (not to mention Suzuki camps). You're looking for adult summer music camps, and the large majority of those will be focused on chamber music, since that's what most adult players want to do.

One option for you might be to create your own "summer camp" by signing up for some lessons with a different teacher over the summer. You'd want to coordinate that with your home teacher, though -- I learned that rule the hard way.

Look up Dylana Jenson.

January 17, 2020, 7:55 AM · You could do brevard which is kind of far but Is very orchestral and doing great rep this summer
January 17, 2020, 8:05 AM · By "not super competitive" do you mean the atmosphere is not competitive, or the admissions are not competitive? What's your playing level? The summer program my son goes to is ages 12-24ish and a very nurturing atmosphere, but the level is pretty high.
January 17, 2020, 8:34 AM · https://www.johnsonstring.com/resources/summer-music-camps/
January 17, 2020, 1:29 PM · Paul, there are plenty of summer music camps for college age students, but all the ones I know of are very competitive.
January 17, 2020, 7:43 PM · Right -- I guess they are usually not called camps though, are they? They're usually called "festivals" or something like that, yes?
January 17, 2020, 9:05 PM · Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Jacob get into Ball State with Kabalevsky or some equivalent concerto? Of course, it's two years later, so presumably his playing level has gone up significantly. Jacob?

January 18, 2020, 7:27 AM · Yes, I have improved quite a bit since I started here. My only issue is that I haven’t been able to work though much repertoire yet. There were some complications at home that required me to take a semester off, so I only last semester completed my freshman jury.
January 18, 2020, 8:43 AM · I think you might have the hardest time finding camps/festivals that aren't too far away. The majority of music camps/festivals seem to be in the east, or northern midwest (Michigan, Wisconsin, etc..). Especially if you are looking for orchestra instead of chamber music. If you are willing to travel a bit more, I would recommend Brevard in NC- I would say that Brevard is moderately competitive for admissions, Eastern Music Festival (in Greensboro, NC)- I'm not sure how competitive this is, Marrowstone Music Festival in Washington State, or perhaps Philadelphia international Music Festival. Otherwise, I think you are probably looking mostly at chamber music festivals or smaller, probably university based, camps.
January 18, 2020, 9:20 AM · Im not looking for anything to prestigious or big for this summer. Probably something smaller, chamber music wise as well. Most of my summer is already taken up by a orchestra tour of Europe a s a family vacation, plus hopefully moving into an apartment. I’m more looking for a smaller one, but I’d also like to take a look at what I could a year from now. I have also asked my professor if she knew of any and hopefully she’ll get back to me on that sometime soon.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe