Viva La Musica

Edited: January 14, 2020, 7:50 PM · I am going to try the Wolf Secundo, and based on recommendations here in another thread of mine I've also become curious about the Viva La Musica and have a couple of questions. I do plan on getting both from Shar and giving them both a trial, I just can't decide which VLM to try.

1. I've not tried a SR that doesn't have padding. For those who use wooden SRs, was there discomfort in adjusting to the lack of padding on the SR? Obviously this is somewhat subjective as we are all different.

2. The Diamond is gorgeous. I want one

3. The Professional (looks the same as the Diamond, a bit cheaper) The price makes me want this one a bit more :-)

4. The Artist (it looks like it may have a different shape on the Shar website, but on the VLM site it looks the same as the other two)

Has anyone seen/tried all three in person? Are all three really the same design/shape and just uses different wood and fittings?

Replies (14)

January 14, 2020, 11:47 PM · 1. same here, the padding on the diamond is comfortable.

2. Thumbs up.

3. it may look similar, and it's adjustable to the lower bouts and in height. If you don't feel the need for adjusting the distance between rest and your neck, then the professional is your candidate.
But it's exactly the option to bring the rest nearer to your neck by rotating (and elongating) the clamps that makes it so uniquely comfortable. For people like me with narrow to average broad shoulders, rhis feature allows the rest not to sit above the shoulder joint. Mine runs almost exactly parallel to the collarbone following it's shape, with the contact point very close and the height is brought down to make the lower bouts comfortably rest in the jugular pit and adding a moderate tilt. It gives be just enough support to make tuning and shifting easier, but has nothing to do with the locked feeling I have with most other models (although the Wolf forte secondo is not a bad fit either, but you have to like the looks...)
It's the only option I personally came to prefer above a foam pad or totally restless with a pice of chamois, but we're all different.

4. See 3 - allows only a minimal amount of rotation between feet clamps and rest.

5. The VivaFlex offers basically the same features like the diamond for a budget, but the plastic material is far more flexible and soft. This can be a benefit, but it doesn't sit as stable. It's good.

6. Note that spare feet can be ordered, high and low. It comes with one high and one low foot.

7. You can choise dark maple, light maple, or walnut, to harmonize with your instrument, if this is of importance.

January 15, 2020, 5:47 AM · Thanks Nuuska - given my physiological issues it sounds like I really need to try the Diamond. I appreciate your feedback!
January 15, 2020, 5:54 AM · The great advantage of the Wolf rest is the we can twist the metal so that the right end is more vertical than the left end, and press gently on the chest without digging in.

The disadvantage is that if it slips, or when the rivets ultimately break, the metal construction won't do wonders for the violin varnish!

January 15, 2020, 6:00 AM · Adrian! That is good to know, I was unaware of that issue with the Wolf.
Edited: January 15, 2020, 9:22 AM · Having been broken in on the old Voigt wooden shoulder rest I always found the Wolf Secundo overengineered, although hardly to the extent of some other contraptions on the market. This, on the other hand, works perfectly for me

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Violin-Shoulder-Rest-Support-Maple-Wood-Cloth-for-3-4-4-4-Size-Violin/264585860848?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D7933100e61404d72b814dac3218154ec%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D12%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D163993071379%26itm%3D264585860848%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Simple, elegant, comfortable, secure, cheap, teddy bears - what else could you want?

January 15, 2020, 11:39 AM · Catherine, remember that if you're going to use a metal shoulder rest and you worry it'll scratch your instrument, best thing to do is stick adhesive foam where it may scratch the instrument. Wolf (and Bon Musica) are made from metal for a very good reason; metal is one of the few good materials that are good for making a bendable/moldable shoulder rest. To make a bendable shoulder rest from plastic or metal requires significant technical engineering hence the expensive nature of the KorfkerRest.
January 15, 2020, 11:58 AM · Have you looked at the Everest? I don't use an SR now but after a lot of searching it was my favorite.
Edited: January 15, 2020, 4:26 PM · Everest was my first SR and the quality was just not good. Even my teacher told me to replace it. My Kun is very much like it but it doesn't keep falling off like the Everest did. I have read the Everest used to have less of a problem with that, but that was my experience with it. I think my shoulder/neck needs something different - which led to a failed Bon Musica experiment. If the BM hadn't dug into my chest so much regardless of adjustment it would have been fine.

The Diamond is on the way for a trial, crossing my fingers on this!

January 15, 2020, 5:36 PM · Catherine, good luck - hope you enjoy it.

Steve, that looks pretty much like a generic Mach one...

For all who are looking for a really iverengineered model... http://www.resonora.de/

Edited: January 19, 2020, 8:43 AM · Diamonod if you prefer a lower sholder rest, Professioal if you like a higher one. They are very beautiful and well constructed, not like Kun's cheap plastic and Wolf's rubish rubber pegs. Best brand in my opinion, with so many models.
Edited: January 19, 2020, 6:31 AM · Never heard of a Wolf Secundo breaking. Thoroughly enjoying mine, the best fit for me ever. Used the Kun and Pedi SRs before that. There is potential for the curved metal bar holding one of the feet to scratch the violin, and I put a small rubber protector at the tip to prevent that. This is perhaps the worse omission IMO and the SR should come with it.
Edited: January 21, 2020, 12:17 PM · My Kun is actually scratching me on the treble side where the padding has worn a bit and it's only been 6-7 months. I know of other women who have had this problem with the Kun but of course we are all different. That made it easier to try something else, and the Diamond arrived yesterday. Hopefully this will work better than the BM did, but this time I won't forget the return deadline.
January 20, 2020, 6:25 AM · The Diamond SR is very attractive indeed. Hopefully it will fit you well.
Edited: January 21, 2020, 12:18 PM · I do like the Diamond and the wood means that even if the padding wears the same on the treble side that it won't draw blood like my Kun did. My Wave 1 CR is still too low however, and my shoulder doesn't like high SR.

On the off-chance I called Wave, and he has one that actually falls between the med and tall heights. This isn't a standard size of his, but he happens to have one that I can try out, and if it works it will just be a swap. Glad I called him! He said that with the Wave 1 design, trying to raise it introduces instability.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe