finding mini orchestral scores

January 13, 2020, 5:14 PM · I am hoping that this is such a silly question that it will be answered in one reply... ;)

I am looking for mini scores for the concertos which I am studying, so I can note what is going on in the various parts and analyze the harmonies (if I am ambitious enough).

I know the scores are often available on imslp, but I don't want to print them out and have loose pages, I'd rather just have one of those nice little mini books, if you know what I mean...

Anyone know where I can find them? I have looked on various sites, shar included, and have had no luck...tips?

Replies (7)

Edited: January 13, 2020, 5:29 PM · I know what you mean by the teeny books. Our community orchestra conductor was previously a conductor of a couple of orchestras in Finland (for, like, decades) and he has a large trove of those little score-books, and sometimes he even conducts from them, even if they're a different edition from what the orchestra is using. How he can read that at his age (ca. 90) boggles the mind.

There's another way: Get the score from IMSLP, but then use your computer to convert them to the little books you desire (Adobe Acrobat can do that nicely). Actually your local Kinko's or Staples can probably just do that for you too, and they probably even have the deep stapler that you're going to need to reach halfway across the A4 page, or they can cut them and put on a coil.

Edited: January 13, 2020, 5:42 PM · The publisher Eulenburg is the 'classic' source of mini scores:

https://en.schott-music.com/eulenburg/miniature-scores/

It looks like Dover is also now producing them, but mainly symphonies so far:
https://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-music-miniature-scores.html

January 13, 2020, 5:43 PM · Anita, try an online search for "Lea Pocket Scores", which may be what you have in mind. Amazon, for one, apparently have them in stock.
January 13, 2020, 10:47 PM · Thank you all! I found what I was looking for - that was very helpful. :)

Has anyone soloed with an orchestra and used score analysis to help prepare? I would covet any advice!

January 13, 2020, 11:38 PM · What do you mean by score analysis?

When I've played a concerto with orchestra, I have generally devoted some hours to listening to various recordings with the score in hand (on an iPad, usually on a plane). I want to know the whole thing well enough that I can hear the whole thing in my head and know exactly how my part fits into it.

On occasion it's useful to listen thoughtfully to the harmonic progression, which suggests how the phrase should be shaped, and how to tune the intonation to fit the overall chord.

January 14, 2020, 2:44 AM · "Tips" is right on the mark. A few weeks ago, after they'd been refused by the charity shops I took all my miniature scores to the tip for recycling
January 14, 2020, 11:16 AM · Well, I was imagining listening to the piece with the score and noting who has the main line at every point, so as to note what kind of color the solo should respond with (e.g., the intro was played by the trumpets vs. the intro was played by the bassoon would produce very different responses, I imagine?). I also thought that I would listen for any harmonic surprises or harmonic changes between various iterations of themes, to see if the character of the solo line should change.

But I wondered if there were any other things that people typically look for, before I jump into it.

(An example of a harmonic change that changed the way I thought about playing my line is in Meditation; the piano part, the first time through the first theme, has a arpeggiated D major chord in the bass line at the first a tempo. In the repeat later, the first bass note of the arpeggiated chord at the a tempo is a C NATURAL! SO MYSTERIOUS AND WEIRD. BUT FUN AND INTERESTING!)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violin Pedagogy Symposium
Violin Pedagogy Symposium

Masterclass Al-Andalus
Masterclass Al-Andalus

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe