Who are the top teachers in England now

January 13, 2020, 4:46 PM · Anyone knows who are the top violin teachers in England now.?

Replies (24)

Edited: January 13, 2020, 5:26 PM · I suspect this question is essentially unanswerable as put.

What does "top teacher" mean? Is it someone who holds a professorial post at one of the major conservatories in the UK; someone who has a reputation for getting pupils from grade 1 to grade 6 in record time and then passes them on to another teacher; someone with more degrees than a thermometer; a teacher who doesn't teach the grade system but prefers to produce musicians instead of examination fodder; or someone who in effect teaches their pupil to teach themselves ... ? I could go on, but it's getting late ;)

If someone is looking for a teacher, remember that a "top" teacher may not necessarily be the best choice for that individual. Personal interaction between pupil and teacher is all-important.

January 13, 2020, 5:37 PM · Paul, you know no mercy!

*can't stop laughing... *

Edited: January 13, 2020, 5:43 PM · Kylie, I'm sure the question cannot be answered like that. One might be able to answer it more specifically, like about the most sought after / prestigious and best looking in your CV teachers, or by whom you'd have to be accepted as a student to have the best chances to make it on the market (which would imply a heavy selection bias).
At the end of the day, the best teacher might be the one you'd really like to study with. And the perfect fit will depend as much on character as on skills.
Edited: January 13, 2020, 5:50 PM · You really nead to offer some clarification here. Age, skill level, experience, location within England/UK, personality will all have a role to play.
January 13, 2020, 9:05 PM · Most sought after and to produce more sololist
Edited: January 13, 2020, 9:33 PM · I saw your blog post that said "We are moving to London", with this question. Does that mean that you're a parent, looking for a teacher for your child? How old / how advanced in your child?

Honestly, if your child is currently on a soloist track, warranting studying with the very top teachers who produce soloists, their current teacher should reach out to their network, make some personal recommendations for who your child should take trial lessons with, and speak with those teachers personally. That's the way teacher transfers at this level are done when a family moves.

If your teacher isn't plugged into that high-level network of teachers with international reputations, or isn't willing to recommend your child to that network, rethink your needs.

January 14, 2020, 1:16 AM · Yes, Lydia you are right, we are the parents, The teacher doesn’t have network in England.
January 14, 2020, 1:19 AM · The teacher asked her friends there, unfortunately and fortunately they want to take my child as their students, not recommend others.
January 14, 2020, 1:20 AM · Kylie, I agree with Lydia. If you needed a high-powered teacher, you'd know who they are.

Nevertheless, I'll bite. Depending on age, look at the three major London Conservatoires, maybe the RNCM too. They all have junior sections too if it's for a pre-university age pupil.

January 14, 2020, 2:40 AM · Maybe you need to explain yourself more fully and precisely. To measure a teacher's worth solely by the notion that they "produce more sololist" suggests either that you need to give this matter a great deal more thought or that you're trolling us. Teachers of the top rank aren't simply servants for hire.
Edited: January 14, 2020, 6:22 AM · The most famous teacher in England is probably Simon Fischer.

An hour spent with Google and YouTube looking up British teenagers who have posted their recitals and conservatoire audition videos and finding out who their teachers were could unearth a few.

January 14, 2020, 6:50 AM · I don't know but the Menuhin School might be a good resource.
January 14, 2020, 6:56 AM · Menuhin school teachers are very famous. The famous teachers at royal college and royal academy. There are many fantastic teacherS at all the big schools.
Edited: January 14, 2020, 10:30 AM · How old is your child? What is your child playing now? Are they currently studying with a teacher who typically launches students into solo careers? What makes you believe that your child is currently on a pre-professional soloist trajectory?

That will suggest what sort of teacher is appropriate.

Edited: January 15, 2020, 6:24 AM · Don't put your daughter on the stage Mrs Worthington! Presumably they'd enjoy a Saturday school? CYM and the academies.
January 15, 2020, 7:43 AM · More interestingly, how much do the top teachers in England charge?
I didn't realise until a few months ago that Elton John was a Saturday scholar at the RCM.
January 19, 2020, 7:51 AM · I was told those 3 in RCM is good, Maciej Rakowski, Itzhak Rashkovsky, Ani Schnarch, anyone knows them?
Edited: January 19, 2020, 9:44 AM · A semi-retired pro violinist who plays in one of my orchestras told me that when he was a student at the Guildhall School of Music some 30 or so years ago one of his teachers also taught at the RAM, and another taught at the RCM. In effect, teachers seem to have been shared between those three London colleges in those days. Does this still happen? It would ensure that students at all three graduate at the same level and makes nonsense of one college implying that it is superior to another, maybe so in the eyes of the public but certainly not where it matters.

I know a violinist who joined a BBC orchestra straight from the Guildhall School and has been with that orchestra for the last 20 years. She regularly plays a major repertoire concerto with one of my orchestras every year or so, and in the second half of the concert will be seen helping out in the back desk of the firsts or seconds in whatever symphony we're performing (we're very grateful!).

January 19, 2020, 9:47 AM · Kylie, those are all very famous and rakovsky is Nicola bendettis teacher and she obviously plays fantastic.
Edited: January 19, 2020, 11:35 AM · Weird that Kyle has not answered the question, first raised by Jack but also detailed by Lydia, of what level is the student at.

For goodness sake, is your child currently learning 'Twinkle', Seitz, Bach, Wieniawski, or Ernst? 'Best' changes rather from one to the other. IMO while its impossible to teach the latter without extensive accomplishment, you also do NOT want a prodigy soloist as a entry level teacher. Unless they studied pedagogy they generally have no idea what you need for the basics since they learned those too young in life to recall.

Or maybe you are just looking for the right status symbol. If so, good luck to your child.

Edited: January 19, 2020, 12:09 PM · Usually if a student is at that "top" (soloist-bound) level, that means they are already studying with a "top" teacher. Their teacher can then connect them with other appropriate teachers. It can be a matter of your current teacher making a few phone calls.

In general, don't take for granted that your child can just get into the studio of a "top" teacher. Their studios are highly selective and usually there is an audition process. Most don't take typical beginner or intermediate level students. If you contact them and your child sounds like they're not a good fit, they will refer you to other teachers or programs, or ignore you.

The OP will find out soon enough if they try to contact these teachers.

January 19, 2020, 12:24 PM · Kylie,

Read what Elise and Frieda wrote.

January 19, 2020, 6:16 PM · Those 3 teachers were suggested by a very well known violin soloist who had given my child Masterclass last year, which means definitely the standard those teachers suit my child. I believe they are very good teacher, but just need hear more people who knows their teaching style, characters etc then I can get more ideas who probably suit my child more so I can contact them to have a consultant lesson.
January 19, 2020, 6:21 PM · What I found out, different teacher have different teachings this, strength and weakness areas. Probably suit some students perfectly, but not others. If students don’t have lessons with them for a while, it is hard to know. In case to take risk, waste time, it is better to focus possibly right one so before make decision, need hear from other people what they say.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violin Pedagogy Symposium
Violin Pedagogy Symposium

Masterclass Al-Andalus
Masterclass Al-Andalus

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe