3rd Position

January 13, 2020, 10:18 AM · Hey guys! So, I was wondering if any of you have techniques in improving ones ability to read in the 3rd position. For example technique,tips, any repetoire or etudes by anyone like a composer,to aid in being able to read in 3rd position.Even any things any of you did to help you get used to reading it.Thanks.

Replies (21)

January 13, 2020, 10:22 AM · I recommend practicing scales (3 octave), this will help with intonation in that position and higher.
January 13, 2020, 10:32 AM · Schradieck no. 10/X, Book 1

Tips: Practice

January 13, 2020, 10:35 AM · Schradieck
January 13, 2020, 10:57 AM · Book of simple tunes (Disney tunes, children's tunes, etc.) or hymnal. Play in 3rd position.
Edited: January 13, 2020, 11:04 AM · So, another vote for Schradieck. So, Schradieck was a composer of etudes, so this would seem to satisfy your request for etudes by someone like a composer.

So, you can see when you page through it that there are specific studies for different positions, and for changing among the positions. So, these studies are very good. So, if you find that they're too hard, however, then you can build up to them using Dont Op. 37, which will give you a workout in first, second, and third position especially.

January 13, 2020, 11:02 AM · The standard text is "Introducing the Positions" by Whistler, book 1.
January 13, 2020, 11:05 AM · It's been speculated that "Introducing the Positions" was actually written by Whistler's Mother.
January 13, 2020, 10:11 PM · So, Paul...feeling a little salty? ;-)
January 13, 2020, 10:20 PM · [assortment of emoticons]
January 13, 2020, 11:12 PM · I use the Whistler books mentioned above (Introducing the Positions, Vol 1 (3rd and 5th) and Vol 2 (2nd, 4th, 6th, and 7th). There’s no secret to developing fluency in higher positions; it is a question of repetition and experience.

Lydia’s suggestion is also good.

January 14, 2020, 12:18 AM · Mental technique; learn 3rd position the same way you learned first pos., straight, no tricks. If you have real trouble sight-reading in other positions you may be too dependent on playing by finger numbers, instead of reading the notes. That is my one criticism of the Suzuki books. Eventually you will only need to write in finger numbers when there is a choice or change of position.
January 14, 2020, 10:02 AM · The Scottish Folk Fiddle Third Position Book by Christine Martin. Lots of Fun, really easy and really helpful.
Edited: January 14, 2020, 10:11 AM · joel, spot on.

If your fingers bypass your brain and go straight from the eyes, you will have a hard time reading *all* positions except 1st. Your brain just fills up with excessive data.

Try to actually know which notes you are playing and what says on the sheet. When you surpass this barrier it will be easier to read any position.

Edited: January 14, 2020, 10:42 AM · Well, back to basics: My teacher at that point made me do an exercise without the violin. I'd read an etude and say out loud the name of the note and the finger, e.g. "A2, B3, C#4" etc.

She made me do the same exercise with positions 2 and 4. After a few weeks of doing this one has no problem whatsoever with assigning fingers in any position.

January 14, 2020, 1:46 PM · How about solfege where you sing the fingerings instead of Do, Re, and Mi.
January 14, 2020, 2:49 PM · Hi,

If your question is :"How do we get confortable with third position?"then you have to practice scale and columns in third position(ex:a,b,c,d,a,b,d,c,a,c,b,d,etc...)
If you want to get good a sightreading third position then practice and play Dancla's études

Hope I've helped

Chères!

January 14, 2020, 3:11 PM · Do lots of scales and get to know where the notes are in third position. If you want to play a G and you're in first position, you should automatically know to use the second finger on the E string; in third position it should be just as automatic to use the 4th finger on the A string. Take a passage you're familiar with in first position and play it in third position. Go through the same process by which you learned the notes in first position. Now you have two sets of fingerings, and can switch from one to the other when you shift. Repeat for fifth position, second position, etc. Eventually these sets of fingerings will merge into a mental image of the neck in which you can find a note whatever position you're in.

At least, that's what I'm aiming for...

January 20, 2020, 2:05 PM · I learned the notes by playing a 2 octave D mayor scale (in 3rd position).
It can also help learning the notes on one string first. For example, learning D,E,F,G on the a string and where the notes are on the staff.

January 20, 2020, 3:14 PM · I think my daughter learned to read 3rd position on Wohlhahrt etudes and Doflein book 3.

I'm not sure how much Schradieck helps with reading but it is an essential part of her daily practice. Highly recommended.

January 26, 2020, 3:18 PM · You are probably more advanced than I, but my teacher started introducing 3rd position quite early. For some time it was only in the context of the second ocative of certain scales, then specific measures he though appropriate in either a Suzuki (starting in Suzuki 1) or other piece. For the first time he assigned me an easy piece to play entirely in 3rd position (Long Ago). I suspect Perpetual Motion in 3rd isn't far away. We start Suzuki 3 next week.
January 26, 2020, 3:46 PM · You'll find that the third position is your best friend in all sorts of playing.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe