E string question

Edited: January 11, 2020, 12:47 PM · Hi, I'm wondering what is this circular thing that comes with the Hill & Sons E String, see picture: https://i.imgur.com/H98SKUW.jpg
Could it be a bridge protector? But different...
And secondly, while we're here, what are your opinions on this string, I'm using Obligato for the others.
Thank you.

Replies (10)

January 11, 2020, 1:30 PM · I am currently using, and would prefer PI e strings for reliability(less whistling, less cracking of the sound). Evah Pirazzi's are amazing when you first use them, but they go false after a few weeks. Dominant e's are ok throughout, but they are not really usable for big concerts and are considered as "beginner" strings. If you want your sound to match, the obligato's are perfect because you use the same brand for the others.
Edited: January 11, 2020, 2:05 PM · yeah I'm aware Evahs don't last.
Years ago, a more experienced friend advised me to use Hill&Sons or Pirastro Gold E with the Obligatos. He said Hill is more stable at higher positions but Pirastro Gold is warmer. I never actually used the obligato E.
My main concern here is that circular object, is it the bridge protector? if so, where to place it?
January 11, 2020, 2:04 PM · No, it doesn't seem like a bridge protector, because it is too thick and wide to fit the string and the bridge. I'm also not certain of what it is. A specialized music store can help you if you contact them or go to the store. Is it possibly a mute?
Edited: January 11, 2020, 2:10 PM · I really have no idea. Could it be for the fine tuner?
But that means this string has no protector...
January 11, 2020, 2:22 PM · Do you not have the transparent molded plastic piece glued onto your bridge? That can help you protect your bridge.
January 11, 2020, 2:28 PM · No, I always use the piece that comes with the string. I guess I can use the yellow one from the old Pirastro Gold I'm going to replace.
Edited: January 11, 2020, 2:48 PM · That little donut is a holdover from the Jurassic. It's called a tone filter, and you use it by laying/balancing it on top of the bridge under the string so that it goes under the string on both sides of the bridge and passes over the top of the bridge on either side of the string.

The idea was to filter out harsh sounds, and the usual historical place to find them was in packages of the cheapest of harsh student strings to make those strings somewhat less offensive. It shouldn't be needed unless your violin is real garbage.

Search google for images of "lycon tone filter".

Edited: January 11, 2020, 5:50 PM · A year or so ago when I had my bridges replaced - one had snapped in two due to a defect deep in the wood, and it was a good idea to have the other replaced as well. I specified that my 18th c violin was going to be used principally or even exclusively with gut strings, but my modern one would be used with synthetics and a steel E.

My luthier cut the bridges slightly differently, giving, on the old violin, slightly extra space between the low tension gut strings and the fingerboard; and on the modern violin bringing the higher tension strings closer to the fingerboard.

I noticed on the bridge for the modern setup that he had stuck a little square of parchment in the E-string groove in the bridge. This is relevant to the OP's question because the purpose of that parchment square is to render unnecessary the protective plastics tube that is integral with many strings, and the sole purpose of which is apparently to stop the E from digging into the bridge, never mind that that tube probably has an unwanted filtering effect on some of the string's frequencies.

Edited: January 12, 2020, 8:11 AM · Michael, that is good info, thanks,
Trevor, I will look carefully to mine today when I change the string, maybe I have it and never noticed it.
How does the Obligato E compare to the Gold E? Is it the same string but one is gold plated?
January 13, 2020, 10:56 AM · Pirastro shows the composition of all their E strings here:

https://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/E-Strings/

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe