Jonpaul-avanti and coda diamond-gx violin bows

January 6, 2020, 12:12 PM · Hi there
If you had to pick between these 2 bows, what would it be? What are some pros and cons about these bows compared to each other? What are your experiences using these bows?

Thanks

Replies (17)

January 6, 2020, 12:31 PM · I did a trial with both of these and ended up loving the Codabow Diamond GX. And of course, the bug got me to try something new and ended up selling my Codabow and purchased the new Marquise. I love it. Great for orchestra playing and outdoor gigs. Fast response, good weight, smooth handling.
January 6, 2020, 12:52 PM · But what about the SOUND of the bows?
Edited: January 6, 2020, 1:13 PM · Oops sorry about that! I can't say too much about the sound of the jonPaul as it didn't feel as good as the Codabow so i didn't mess it much.

The Codabow is very strong and pulls a nice focused and clear sound. It's no fine 10K bow but for the price, it's a really great bow.

January 6, 2020, 2:11 PM · I may be wrong, but doesn't the jonpaul bows offers two options, ethier stiff and flexible sticks???
January 6, 2020, 2:23 PM · I tested JonPaul Carrera against CodaBow GX and Marquise. Much prefered both sound and handling of the JonPaul. I tested both firm and flexible version and prefered the firm.
January 6, 2020, 4:43 PM · I think sound is still specific to the individual stick, and how it will be on an individual violin varies. I prefer the Avanti to the Coda Diamond GX, for its very neutral, balanced feel in the hand. I prefer sticks with average-to-slightly-high balance points, an even draw, good balance throughout, that are strong and lively.
January 6, 2020, 7:26 PM · I dislike the Codabow GX intensely...the response and tone quality have never been to my taste, and I find the general articulation and sound to be overly brittle. I had the opportunity to test the Marquise GS model before its general release, and I find it significantly better.

The JonPaul Avanti is a very good bow for its price, and my only criticism of it is that it does not draw a substantially complex or powerful tone although it articulates very clearly--it is very much a blank palette. At under $800, it's hard to complain though.

January 6, 2020, 8:02 PM · Hi Gene

Is that the firm or flexibile stick of the Avanti?

January 7, 2020, 12:21 AM · Which is more natural to you?
January 7, 2020, 12:45 AM · I would consider genuine pernambuco Brazilian bows in this price range.
January 7, 2020, 5:26 AM · Asking about how a bow "sounds" is a very tricky question to answer because a lot of how a bow sounds depends on the specific violin it's being used on and the person playing it.

Two people playing the same bow on the same violin can end up with very different reactions and tones.

Best to either buy bows from a place which will send them out as trials (fiddlershop.com does this for a small expense which is deducted from the purchase price if you buy the bow) or find a nearby store where you can go try them out in person.

January 7, 2020, 9:56 AM · Not only that, but you can get some nominally similar bows that are much different in sound or response. I ordered my carbon fiber bow from Cleveland Violins. Great deal, especially at $500. They sent three, and they were all obviously from the same shop and could be described much the same way. But one was much better than the other two, for my gear.
January 7, 2020, 11:49 AM · I'll second Lyndon's recommendation--I recently tried a number of less expensive nickel mounted pernambuco bows from Arcos Brasil right under $500 and they are really a great value. I think I still prefer their firmness and sound over most of the carbon fiber bows in this price range.
January 7, 2020, 12:08 PM · Like others have said, it depends a lot on your instrument. In my personal experience, with my violin, I preferred the tone of most JonPaul models over the Codas I tried (I tried a couple of NX, but not the GX). I ended up with a JonPaul Muse (I also have a JonPaul Fusion as a back-up bow). I have a couple of students with Coda bows, though and really love the way they feel in the hand. If I ever upgrade my violin I may try some Codas again.
Edited: January 8, 2020, 12:19 PM · I played Codas for years (Classics and a GX) and switched to a JonPaul then to Arcuses.

I like the JonPauls a lot better than the Codas and most of my students play them. True, the tone is (usually) not as complex as wood bows but the handling is (usually) much better. At this price point I think I would put a premium on the handling of the bow.

If you have the opportunity, try Musing bows, they have models in your price range. I have a few students with them and I like them better than the JonPauls.

BUT, the bow you buy is the bow that YOU want to play!

February 1, 2020, 7:54 PM · Today I had reason to try a Diamond GX - along with several other bows in the Diamond line and was rather surprised to find how much I prefer the John Paul Corona over the GX. To me, at least, I wouldn't be able to justify the cost even if I did have a spare $800 floating around for it. To me the less expensive Corona (still expensive), seemed better balanced and liveler in my hand.

Of course that is just me, and I am a returning beginner who only returned 15 months ago...and the Corona will be case next month if I still like it as much after a trial period in a few weeks.

February 1, 2020, 9:00 PM · I used a Jonpaul Carrera for several years, and while it handled okay it had the nasely sound carbon fiber bows are known for. When I bought it I tried it against Cosabow’a top models and found the sound similar but the Jonpaul was livelier and handled better for spicatto.

Recently I acquired an Arcus P9 (octagonal version), and have to say the handling and sound quality embarrasses the Carrera—the quality of this bow is miraculous even for the price. It also sounds better than my teacher’s wooden bows (no Peccatte’s or Sartory’s in his collection, though;) It sounds spectacular on both my violin and his, and it handles basically perfectly. In trying it out I tried lesser Arcus models, and while they were far lesser than the P9, they all had a better sound than the Carrera.

Because the manufacturing techniques of Arcus seems to produce a superior sound across the range, I recommend you look at the Arcus models in your price range and try them out. But make sure you try a couple copies, as there is quite a bit of variation with CF bows even of the same model. Pick one that handled well and has the best sound match for your violin.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe