Grumiaux bows

January 4, 2020, 6:55 PM · Hi all: Does anyone know what sort of bows Arthur Grumiaux used? I love his sound and playing but have not seen his bows being mentioned before.

Thanks

Replies (13)

Edited: January 4, 2020, 8:24 PM · According to Wikipedia he owned a Guarneri of 1744, the "Rose" and a Strad of 1727, the
"General Dupont" There is no mention of his bows.
January 4, 2020, 10:08 PM · Allen - for me, Grumiaux belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of violinists. Such refined, classy, and interesting playing.
January 4, 2020, 11:03 PM · Jeff, he also owned a Turin period G.B. Guadagnini which Joseph Silverstein later acquired. Grumiaux could make anything sound good. Great artist!
Edited: January 5, 2020, 7:13 AM · Even make a Guad sound good? Now that’s real artistry! :D
Edited: January 5, 2020, 11:12 AM · Well I don't think I could make it sound good. Grumiaux was one of the foremost proponents of what I call "motorized vibrato." Same vibrato, all the time. Listen to his Bach Double, for example (which I rather like, but these days his recording would be excoriated for being decidedly non-HIP).
Edited: January 5, 2020, 4:59 PM · Henry Roth says of Grumiaux in his book, Violin Virtuosos, "Of his many bows he favored his Peccatte".
Edited: January 5, 2020, 2:10 PM · According to Gennady Filimonov, who compiled a truly impressive list, Grumiaux used bows by F.X. Tourte, D. Peccatte (ex De Beriot) and B. Rolland. Joseph Hassid is listed with a Weichold bow and Oistrakh loved his Nurnberger. ;-)
Here is the link to this wonderful list: http://www.filimonovfineviolins.com/Filimonov_Fine_Violins/L.html
January 5, 2020, 2:35 PM · I didn't know he lived long enough to have a Rolland.

And Gennady's list is quite something.

January 5, 2020, 2:46 PM · Rolland started his first studio in Paris in 1976. Grumiaux, who was born in 1921, died in 1986, after having given concerts until that year. Seems possible he may have used a Rolland.
January 5, 2020, 3:51 PM · Thanks for your kind replies and answers guys, always amazing to know what were used by the great artists.
January 5, 2020, 5:06 PM · Grumiaux obtained his Guadagnini from Alfredo Campoli. Many years ago, Alfredo told me that he acquired it in order to have an instrument with enough projection to play in the Proms in Albert Hall.
January 5, 2020, 7:51 PM · If Grumiaux's bow is merely stamped "Peccatte" then we don't know whether it's a Dominique Peccatte or whether it was made by Peccatte's son Albert or his grandson Jeff or his great-nephew Skippy.
January 6, 2020, 10:18 PM · Ron, thank you for the information on the Guadagnini. I remember seeing it up close when Silverstein played it at a lesson and at a small concert he gave at a festival. He apparently used it as his primary instrument in his early days as Concertmaster of the Boston Symphony. Silverstein later acquired a del Gesu with a Vuillaume scroll. I liked the Guadagnini a bit better.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe