Mendelssohn Violin Concerto

January 3, 2020, 9:25 PM · Hi,
I have two questions about the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto and since I don't go back to school until the 13th I'm trying to see if I can get some help here before going back to university.

1. Is there a fingering I'm missing for the arpeggio section after the triplet chord section that makes this fall easier in the hand or do I just need to practice the fingering that is in here. It seems that the one that's printed (international edition) is either vague in the execution, or it's just a bad fingering. Most people I see on youtube do this section in position, however I have seen some people do more shifting sometimes even coming down to 1st position.
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ohgZuZwfL8iQfPFxrvfmphgyD2KkgSh5

2. The beginning of the cadenza two measures before the 1st fermata. Even with the size of my hand this passage is proving difficult to play once I get to the F# A A chord when trying to use my 4th finger for the F#. Is there another fingering that is better for this part.
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U7qKzzeDAY1A0jAfJNk_KTawYBLs1iH8

I checked some other editions on imslp and they all seem to say the same thing for both sections that I'm asking about.

Thank you

Replies (8)

Edited: January 3, 2020, 10:26 PM · Here is another edition you can check:

https://baylor.box.com/shared/static/40vnojbx588n88fnbjt4bmqa9vwpcy1j.pdf

Bruce has an F# unison at bar 300 that doesn't seem to be indicated in your part.

January 4, 2020, 1:06 PM ·
January 4, 2020, 1:28 PM · It seems that my violin concerto editions have a way of getting around. I guess that is possibly because I have made them freely available, meaning no charge. If you go here https://www.baylor.edu/music/index.php?id=952983 you can get all of them (notated on Finale).

You will find for free download Mendelssohn, Bruch 1, Lalo Symphonie Espagnol and Saint Saens #3. There is an edited version, an urtext version, and a piano accompaniment.

The bowings and fingerings are derived from my study with Josef Gingold, Ivan Galamian, and others. I also asked a number of well known violin teachers to take a look and offer suggestions about alternatives.
Dr. Bruce Berg
Emeritus Professor of Violin
Baylor University

January 4, 2020, 2:05 PM · Bruce,
I've actually used your edition for a few of my fingerings already. I tried your fingering for the arpeggio section before, but I think I'll take another look at it during my next practice session. For the cadenza what does the double F# do? All I can see is that it makes my handshape more spread out.
January 5, 2020, 5:18 AM · An easy fingering for measures 299-300 is 110201 310201 102201 310201. Adding the unison to this enhances the interpretation, given that the F#AA chord (played on strings DAE) remains constant during the two measures, while the melody is really in the bass: B D# F# D# B, so it is nice if this melody is brought out on the G-string, including the F# which yields the unison.

About the passage starting measure 113 you can follow dr.Berg's fingering?

January 5, 2020, 5:23 AM · Bruce if you are reading this: in your Bruch edition, measure 280 looks a bit cramped :-) Any chance of reformatting this? Many thanks for these editions, and sharing them true to the free access philosophy!
Edited: January 5, 2020, 9:03 PM · Jean,
I am aware of various mistakes in my editions. Although minor, I intend to getting around to correct them.

When looking at "Persian" rugs in Istanbul a number of years ago, I was informed that any one of these has a purposefully made "mistake" because only Allah is perfect. That was not my intention in these editions, but there you go! Bruce

Edited: January 6, 2020, 12:37 PM · 1. I just took a look at my music here's what I got. No shifts, just crawling in position slowly downward. I put the last note of the 4th measure and the note after in parentheses (I indicated measures with a "|"), as I use the first fingering indicated (4 & 3), but my teacher had put the second (3 & 2) - I've gone back and forth but settled my preference on the former.

(IV)21341423|43124243|24131312|4213131(4/3)|(3/2)1312424|21324243|24241314|32131421...

The Igor Oistrakh edition I have has you shifting up and down and up and down, but I haven't even attempted those fingerings to know what the idea is.

2. It looks a little weird, but just practice it slowly and it should fall under your hand

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe