Optimal

January 2, 2020, 5:10 AM · Hello. I am struggling to find a decent time to practise when I am awake and alert. I work a permanent night shift, does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies (5)

January 2, 2020, 5:18 AM · I always found that first thing after sleep (whenever that is for you) was the best. well, maybe after a coffee! You simply plan to wake up an hour earlier than necessary. The advantage is that its then much harder for other things to get in the way.
January 2, 2020, 5:47 AM · Elise's advice is very good. Another good time might be as soon as you get home from your night shift. Of course much will depend on what you do on your night shift, how exhausted you are. But just as many people practice right after dinner, after a traditional day-shift job, you might find that you are able to make good progress after you have whatever meal you have immediately following your night shift.

Try them both and see which seems to help you make better progress.

January 2, 2020, 7:59 AM · You can keep a practice diary of sorts, keeping track of when, what, and how you practice, and how you feel. Then you can start to see patterns as well as see ways to make your practice more efficient. The hardest part of practice is always sitting down and puling out your instrument, that hurdle will always remain. I feel like once I get through warm ups, no matter how I'm feeling, I tend to be more focused and motivated to practice. Additionally, once you develop a good routine, it will feel weird not to practice.
Edited: January 2, 2020, 11:23 AM · When I was younger I practiced after school and years later after work.
Now in old age (after age 70), I find my best practice/playing time is mornings.
A lot may depend on whether you have neighbors who will be disturbed by your practice.
David's advice about choosing the right time for YOU is very important.
People use practice mutes to shield the neighbors if they are a problem. Mutes do not disguise you left hand activity much but they can hide much of the more subtle effects of your right hand (i.e., bowing).
January 3, 2020, 3:30 PM · I have found that the stress of upcoming commitments is the impediment to an effective and enjoyable practice/playing session. For me, as a retired early-to-bed-early-to-rise person is actually around 3:PM. By then all the scheduled daily activities are over and I'm not actually tired, yet. Without the distraction of more stuff to do (other than feed the cats which follows my practice/playing session) is my key to successful sessions.

It is not so much a specific time but a place in time where stress is ata minimum and therefore concentration is at maximum because the distractions of the day are gone.

How that works in your situation will depend on your daily routines.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe