V.commers ARE THE BEST VIOLIN TEACHERS . . .

Edited: December 30, 2019, 11:42 PM · After reading V.com for the past twelve years, I realize that you, the readers and correspondents, who have graciously taken your time to sit down and share your knowledge and opinions on V.com, have created an incomparable work of knowledge.

And I thank Laurie who had the foresight to create V.com and the tenacity to keep it up and running for all these years. She has made an incomparable contribution to string musicians.

Most impressive is, that she has kept the website strictly on target and totally clear of filth. This is a site that is safe for all who are old enough to read and will not introduce any subject off color.

About ten years ago, I remember a mixed up thirteen year old girl who wanted new and better violins, bows, cases etc. that her mother could ill afford. This girl was taken into heart by a good number of V.com readers who carefully took their time to talk (in writing) to her, console her and convince her that she needed to learn on the instrument that she had at the time; at the current time new expensive equipment wasn’t appropriate.

I thank all of you, and especially Laurie, for the knowledge that you have contributed educating me on the playing on and about the machine called violin.

Make sure that your bows have 8 hours of light every day and Happy New Year.

ABL

Replies (7)

December 30, 2019, 7:57 PM · HNY 2U2
December 31, 2019, 12:27 PM · I love V.com so much. I love the lively discussion here and the wealth of knowledge-sharing that happens here. The site is well organized and is kept very clean.
December 31, 2019, 5:26 PM · Lovely site, yes.
Edited: January 4, 2020, 9:43 AM · With someone like Leia Zhu on v.com, how can anyone disagree?
And, of course, there was a very helpful regular contribution by another (and if I could only remember the name … ).
Edited: January 4, 2020, 11:52 AM · Re ~ V.commers ARE THE BEST VIOLIN TEACHERS . . .

I wish to personally thank Allan Lewis for his lovely & complimentary words on the December 30, 2019, Blog Topic w/comments here on www.violinist.com in describing his over 13 years of experience as a contributor & reader of Editor, Laurie Niles', most excellent website!

Indeed! It is heartening to join in and see so many sincere responder string playing violinists offering those asking help in a variety of ways, with advice on numerous issues regarding learning/playing of The King of Instruments aka, The Violin, which has been very evident in the 2019 Year!! In fact, I've been so impressed, I have posted at least 4 or 5 involved Discussions on to my Facebook Timeline pages w/many FB professional musical colleagues (including even non string players) having responded most positively!

Agreeing in earnest with Allen Lewis's words about integrity of Violinist.com with faithful adherence to highest standards of behavior amid often differing opinions, Laurie Niles has maintained a website of safety & courtesy, both professionally and personally, which young children can be a part of which
to quote my acclaimed NY born String Educator ASTA National President, late father, Ralph Matesky's, lifetime maxim ~

"Keep your eye on the doughnut, not the hole"

'hits' Dad's higher standards of healthy string teaching & playing decorum ~

Congratulations to Laurie Niles and her husband for founding & maintaining Violinist.com in 1996 until January 4, 2020, & no matter the latest 'buzz' or having 'gone viral' a subject, enabling untold thousands of violinists, violin + string cousin pupil's & performing artists opportunity to come here to openly discuss and partake in a clean environment of interactive dialogue ~

Long may Laurie Niles & her husband continue their Violinist.com website & with expanded borders in this Third Decade of the 2020's and stretching into Decades Further!!!!!

Musically Submitted on ^January 4th, 2020, from Chicago ...

As from ~ Elisabeth Matesky ^*

^Happy would be 107th Birthday, dearest Poppa!

*Bio: https://www.violinist.com/directory/bio.cfm?member=Milstein

* " " https://www.facebook.com (go to Elisabeth Anne Matesky)

January 8, 2020, 1:36 PM · Thank you Allan! And thanks to everyone who creates a welcoming community here and who contributes their own expertise, whether that is in violin technique and knowledge of the instrument, or other areas such as medicine and health and frankly just life wisdom. All these things together, along with some respect and give-and-take, can help all of us continue to grow together as musicians and people.
January 8, 2020, 5:43 PM · Personally I'm very thankful for this forum - everyone here has been very kind to this 60-year old returnee after a 45 year hiatus from the violin. Obviously for me it is all about the joy of the instrument and learning to make the kind of music I love with it, eventually with others, rather than any idea of becoming a professional. It's been great to have access to such a kind, experienced, and knowledgeable group!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violin Pedagogy Symposium
Violin Pedagogy Symposium

Masterclass Al-Andalus
Masterclass Al-Andalus

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe