Dolfinos Chin/Shouler rest

December 25, 2019, 12:14 PM · Just curious if any one has try this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTiA7sWczd8

Replies (13)

December 25, 2019, 1:22 PM · Have you looked at the website dolfinos.com? It's an interesting product, but it's insanely expensive... My concerns are that it may be hard to store in the case and hard to remove for storage. The testimonials videos are not in English so I can't understand them.
December 25, 2019, 3:15 PM · Very cool product from the looks of it. I love the idea. Hopefully it's reliable long term.
Edited: December 26, 2019, 4:49 PM · I bit the bullet the other day and ordered one for my kid (grad student, violin performance). It wasn’t clear which chinrest would be preferable, so I ordered 2 (skipped the low one) and plan to return one. It’s pricey, to be sure, so if it doesn’t work out, it’s all going to be returned rather than be consigned to the shoulder rest drawer. I’ll post her observations when it gets here.
December 25, 2019, 6:21 PM · Dolfinos looks to be a better execution (in terms of mounting) than the phantomrest and it's in similar style of wittner isny sr and libero sr Benedetti shown (2:20 in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oITgjVB6qM4

Another fairly new sr from Germany : poldauer.com

Edited: December 25, 2019, 8:47 PM · Wow... So many shoulder rest systems are popping up these days, isn't this true? Like the Performa just came out, and now the Dolfinos and the Poldauer... I would honestly love to see some new developments in the world of chinrests (Dolfinos sort of counts), like height-adjustable versions of popular chinrest models, or some form of a moldable chinrest, or the reincarnation of some older chinrest models that are no longer available.

I just looked up the poldauer. Quite a nice idea. The creator does seem to be anti-SR... And then I one day googled memory foam shoulder rests and came across this: domichinrest.com...

Edited: December 26, 2019, 4:06 PM · Sorry to crash the party... But I really don't get the sense in the Domi chinrest. In my (very unreliable and unprofessional, but the only one I own...) experience the kind of pain that might lead to the wish for a CR cushion would be too much clamping with the chin - a bad habit that had to be eradicated from the very first lesson on. An a CR surface "individually moulded to my chin" could be moulded in only one static posit, while holding and supporting a violin (or viola) is dynamic with permanently changing contact points, in my understanding. Pain is mostly an indicator that something is wrong with posture and body dynamics and should just be taken as an alarm sign, isn't it? Or should I have gotten something wrong?!

And, not questioning how well it might eventually work for some of us - anybody willing to try that Poldauer suction cup on a valuable instrument? I'd eventually use it on my shower wall...

Editing: the poldauer comes with a thin (microsuction?) gel that is obviously supposed to remain on the instrument, and the rest is fixed onto that gel. Just wondering how well this can protect the varnish... Not convinced yet.

Editing #2: and their explanations how to choose the correct size reflects how they misunderstood the function of a SR. If used the right way, it might still work though. In their video they're talking a lot of nonsense. Although I like their Bavarian German, because it is the language I grew up with.
Not happy to say that, usually I don't like working myself into a rant...

December 26, 2019, 5:27 PM · Nuuska, Well, the only reason I googled memory foam shoulder rests was because I thought a memory foam sponge shoulder pad would be an interesting idea and I wanted to know if such a thing existed. That was when the domi thing popped up.

Regarding chinrest covers... although most of us are okay without them, some people may use a cover because they have skin sensitivities or prefer a softer surface under the chin. Some people also use chinrest covers to make their chinrests higher.

Edited: December 27, 2019, 1:20 AM · A chin rest cover doesn't alter the form of the CR. And it wasn't against you, Ella. I'm only shocked how far advertising can go, in terms of blunt uninformedness, and this although someone who claims having developed a new SR should definitely know w about the function of such a device.

Concerning memory foam - isn't Andrew Victor using a thermoplastic antecessor? Wondering if this is more to modify the angle / basic shape of the CR, or really for modeling the surface to the chin?

December 27, 2019, 5:17 AM · As far as I remember Andrew copied with two sets of foam the shape of his preferred CR which is out of production.
December 27, 2019, 12:11 PM · I think Andrew may be referring to the impressionist chinrest cover, which is not memory foam. When I thought of memory foam I was thinking more of a spgence-type shoulder rest, not a chinrest.
December 27, 2019, 12:58 PM · There might be different types of memory foam. Usually (like in beds, pillows,...) they find back into their original shape after a while. I think the chin rest cover might be one of these. Or are you looking for a material that will keep its structure after reshaping?
December 27, 2019, 2:25 PM · Well, I read that the impressionist is made from a more plasticky material. I'm not looking for anything. I just wanted to share what I found on the web.
December 28, 2019, 1:25 PM · Back to the Dolfinos - anyone tried them yet?
What I'm still missing is, how the heck would you change the angle of tilt...?! I understand that it's adjustable in almost any direction - only the axis if the instrument itself isn't targeted. Or did I get something wrong again? (This is why I don't think it's a better version of the obviously discontinued Phantom rest. )

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe