Haydn

December 16, 2019, 3:27 AM · Hello,
I am currently learning the Haydn A major concerto and I am struggling to keep the double stops voiced evenly at bar 36. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Replies (4)

December 16, 2019, 8:50 AM · What a lovely concerto to be working on! For this, I suggest a lot of slow practice, try and keep an even bow stroke across the strings you need. Bar 36, and the few bars before require your hand to be relaxed, try not to tense when you are playing the double stops, and it will come a little bit more easily.

There is a traditional Greek piece, Kozanis (Grade 5 ABRSM syllabus 2012-2015), which requires a lot of double stop work, while the fingers move independently on another string. It’s a great way of getting your fingers used to playing while also double stopping.

I would think some double stopped scales would help to, 3rds, 5th and 6ths if you can.

Slow practice, patience and have fun with it Jake. It’s a delightful concerto to learn!

December 16, 2019, 4:24 PM · It isn't necessary to keep the notes sounding as written. Figure out what is melodic and what is harmonic. Then bring out the melodic. All the notes don't need to be sounded as written. A good example is bar 40. The quarter notes e done't need to be sounded for the whole value. They are harmonic and doubles the bass-line.
December 16, 2019, 4:35 PM · Try leaning more on the g string than the d string. This is because the height of the g string gets a lot lower when going from 1st finger to 3rd and 4th.
December 17, 2019, 8:45 PM · Some good suggestions. Thanks a lot

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violin Pedagogy Symposium
Violin Pedagogy Symposium

Masterclass Al-Andalus
Masterclass Al-Andalus

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe