What is everyone’s favorite rosin for the super dry winter weather?

December 3, 2019, 6:42 PM · Just curious to see what everyone likes to use as the Motrya isn’t cutting it right now 😫

Replies (20)

December 3, 2019, 7:04 PM · Someone told me not to use bass rosin as it would be a big sticky mess but I bought some Kolsteins Bass rosin in the winter and it is just perfect for me mixed with my regular rosin. Not that messy as I expected.
December 3, 2019, 11:34 PM · Chapstick.
December 4, 2019, 5:58 AM · Still fussing about. It has finally turned to winter in the UK, and there may well be a different answer in a week or so. Also, it appears that strings have some impact on the best choice. The current options is Guillaume (paused when it didn't work on gut so well in my situation), Deja (need to re-melt it-- very good soloist quality), Vienna's Best (very smooth), and Andrea A Piacere (seemingly a good all-rounder).
December 4, 2019, 7:28 AM · I really like Guillaume for year round in Michigan, but it does work exceptionally well during our winters. Check out my article for a lot of info on rosin at: https://adbowsllc.com/2018/09/25/all-things-rosin/
December 4, 2019, 9:10 AM · Thanks all! Anthony, that's a great article :)
December 4, 2019, 9:44 AM · I actually found that Kaplan Artcraft Dark is a pretty reliable rosin in the dry winter/fall months. I had been using my leatherwood supple blend for a while and then it stopped working once it got dry and cold. I was trying to play the chords in the Bruch concerto and they were coming out very crunchy and just not great to listen to. At first I thought it was my technique and then I switched to my Art Craft that I had in my case and that fixed it almost immediately (my strings were also dead, but the rosin helped a huge amount).

At only $8ish a cake it's a really good rosin to have on me for when I need a darker rosin. Makes me wonder if I need to try the artcraft light for the hot and humid times since its dark counterpart is so effective. Unfortunately, I already have my leatherwood supple and a cake of melos light (which is a great rosin for the hotter part of the year btw) in my case. I don't think I need 4 cakes of rosin in my case

December 4, 2019, 10:30 AM · I use Bernardel year-round.
Edited: December 4, 2019, 1:17 PM · Same here with Jade l'opera, 365/7/24. Another great but cheap rosin. After all the raving about Guillaume I ordered a cake, but it's still sitting in my case untouched, waiting for it's chance...
Edited: December 4, 2019, 12:21 PM · Is the problem the cold or the dryness? If the cold, are you really playing your violin outdoors? If the dryness, I need convincing it's a problem. And again, don't you humidify your rooms?
December 4, 2019, 1:16 PM · Gordon, we cannot always decide about the room climate we're performing / teaching / eventually even practicing in (e.g. practice rooms at university). A well moistened violin will keep humidity long enough if not stored outside it's humidified case. Not so a ribbon of horse hair - it will dry within minutes. Not sure if this is a problem though, since I'm not sure if the hair really gets stiffer or the surface of the hair will change. Only thing I know is that my Vision Titaniums work well together with my bow and Jade, no matter the circumstances. I seem to be lucky, loosening the bow hair a bit when tried seems to be enough in my case.

(Not so much my violin herself, she hates dryness, although things have become more controllable since I indulged her with a new soundpost.)

December 5, 2019, 6:30 AM · Thanks everyone again! I cleaned my bow and loaded on the Melos Dark and have had great results. (I forgot I had it!)
December 5, 2019, 7:10 AM · I had different situation, our home is old european house with earth gas (I hope the name is right) heating, so we have very high humidity during winter time (for most american people is surprise, when you don't know old stone european buildings and windows and other things:)). We have dehumidifiers to hold the humidity under 80% at winter time. And I have a few packs of bamboo charcoal packages (special dehumidifier for instruments) it is really made to hold 60%. And it works well in my case, so I can have 60% inside, but when I go to play to modern places with air conditioning, there is absolutely dry air. The biggest problem is horsehair, I found my bow after moment absolutely extremely stretched as it dried out, it scares me :-) But I use still same rosin as in summer. I am using Bogaro and Clemente I received like a gift from my luthier. He gave me this and told me it is great, I should use it. And it is great and I am using it whole year :-)

https://www.paganino.com/bogaro-rosin-news/

December 5, 2019, 11:53 AM · Natural gas, I think. (Methane drawn from areas rich in oil and coal deposits).

Fascinating going between totally humid to dried-out venues. Almost makes it worth having two bows, with different hair lengths!

December 7, 2019, 3:49 PM · Interesting question. Isn't rosin an hydrofuge substance (it is not soluble in water), in which case humidity doesn't really matter? Temperature, yes, but humidity? Any chemists in the groups care to chime in?
December 7, 2019, 4:20 PM · Rosin might not change, but wood and strings will. So the interaction might be different.
December 7, 2019, 5:09 PM · I've tried so many rosins including all the famous/expensive ones (Baker, Andrea, Petz etc) and in the end I'm happy with Millant Gold and Silver which costs $8 and works in all weather. It's kind of at the happy medium -- sticky enough for winter and dry enough for summer.
December 8, 2019, 5:22 AM · Humidity might not affect the rosin itself, but it does affect the strings, so in certain climates and seasons one needs stickier rosin or less-sticky rosin. Or a rosin like Thomas Boyer has found works for him in all seasons. But a lot depends on one's concept of tone and one's physical location, so what works for one person in one location might not work for a person in a different location. I'm still experimenting.
December 9, 2019, 9:41 AM · Andrea Solo rosin and pecatte dark rosin
December 9, 2019, 12:29 PM · David Bailey, rosin is indeed affected by humidity. Rosin can absorb enough moisture that it will foam when melted. As it absorbs moisture, it gets softer.
Edited: December 14, 2019, 3:01 PM · Okay, Guillaume fanboys - I did it. I really didn't expect it, but I do have to admit that at the currently 32% RH in our flat, it's definitely a step up from Jade. Less scratchy, less bow noises, better grip. Curious how it will compete when humidity rises again... And it were only been a few licks, without removal of old rosin residuals. Same result on all 3 bows I use most, modern pernambuco and baroque snakewood, with different grades of hair wear - from almost new to almost done.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe