Violin case

December 3, 2019, 10:22 AM · Need a new violin case for a 4/4 violin. It's for my daughter 13 years old, so I would buy something sturdy. Weight, material, shape, etc. it's not that important. Price between 150 and 250 euro.

Reading the forum here I'm considering the Gewa Bio oblung. I also wonder if the Gewa pure would be better for resistence etc. Any suggestion is very welcome.
Thank you, g.

Replies (12)

December 3, 2019, 10:35 AM · Gewa is an excellent brand, both the Bio and Pure models are excellent.
I have also had good fortune with the Jakob Winter Greenline cases, and some of them come in great designs.

December 3, 2019, 2:05 PM · Selecting a type of case obviously has many considerations however, sturdiness, weight and shock-protection are probably the most important.
Depending on your climate there are other factors too. If you have a lot of sunshine beware of cases that get red hot in sunlight! This is true of many synthetic cases which are great for sturdiness but heat up rapidly in sunshine. Likewise, if you have low humidity (a killer for wooden instruments, especially the classical string ones) you need a case that seals well so that your humidifier be able to maintain case humidity level. Also make sure that the violin is suspended in the case - the back should be held above the surface of the case by foam at either end.,

Don't underestimate weight either - a too heavy case will be left at home or worse, at some 'hopefully safe' location and you don't want to encumber your daughter.

Thus, check out wooden cases too - they can be terrific for strength, heat protection, and general durability while being light and are often cheaper too.

December 3, 2019, 2:17 PM · I've been using my Negri Venezia case for over 20 years, and I really like it. It's held up remarkably well, and I have no complaints about it, except that it is heavy!

Don't know what the EU prices are, I got a Bobelock half moon for $150USD for the sale of my previous instrument and felt it was a pretty decent case for the money - there were some cons with it when comparing to my Negri.

Highly recommend getting extra comfortable straps for carrying, if the straps that come with whatever case you get are not great for your daughter.

Edited: December 4, 2019, 3:34 AM · Thank you for the suggestion, I'm considering all them attentively.

@Pamela: Bobelock is not an option, I can't find online easily (amazon.fr
& www.thomannmusic.ch etc.)

@elise gewa wood models are a bit too expensive

@Zilpah: I found some case Jakob Winter but not the Greenline models.

On the Gewa site I found a table with some information about the different materials: https://gewastrings.com/cases-bags/cases/violin

Apparently, in the price range I'm interested in the most suitable materials are: thermoshell (model: CONCERTO, ATLANTA, MAESTRO, VENEZIA, JAEGER) and flax fiber sheet (model: BIO). Curiously they didn't mention polycarbonate (model: PURE).

Gewa Pure shpaed is ~200 euro.
Gewa Bio shaped is ~85 euro (wow).
Gewa Concerto shaped is ~140 euro.
Gewa Maestro shaped is ~200 euro.

Does exist any data about case shape (oblung/shaped etc.) and strenght (resistence) ?

Thank you, g.

December 5, 2019, 2:14 AM · I asked to Gewa information about Polycarbonate. Here it is their reply:

====
Polycarbonate is a thermoplastic. Polycarbonate is stronger and can withstand higher temperatures.

You can also watch our video for cases, there you can see other components as stability, weight, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFJQmYpKVFU
====

I decided to buy the Gewa pure oblung.
Thank for the help!
G.

December 5, 2019, 6:59 AM · Maybe too late, but I am using Gewa Bio (is here at job with me today) and I love it. Great for transportation (metro strap or handler or how to call it is amazing) heat resistance and isolation is great. We have a high humidity flat, so I have opposite problem, I have a dehumidifiers inside and I am able to maintain 60% inside for whole day.

I think Gewa Pure will be very similar, good choice I think.

December 5, 2019, 9:59 AM · I recommend the Embassy Courier case. My daughter has had one for years and it's super durable, well-designed inside, and it has a leather tie instead of velcro for the neck.
Edited: December 5, 2019, 11:16 AM · I suppose missing information is, a) how much is the violin worth? b) is the primary requirement that it protect the violin from the sort of roughness it will suffer in a secondary/high school environment?
December 5, 2019, 10:14 PM · The Gewa Pure polycarbonate in shaped (1.8) or oblong (2.4) is absolutely wonderful.

I just took the shaped version with me on a cross-country visit to Philadelphia for their orchestra PlayIN event, and thanks to my red-eye flight ended up wandering through the Philadelphia Marathon, walking 12+ miles around the city to see the sights and eat some great cheesesteaks before playing, and despite the 40-degree weather while slung on my back, my violin arrived at the hall hours later still in tune...the shell really slowed the rate of temperature change, and the case is so small it tucks into the overhead compartment of the plane very easily.

December 8, 2019, 9:13 AM · I have used Bobelock cases for years and am quite happy with them. Sturdy, well-made, relatively inexpensive, not too heavy. They are surely within the budget you suggest.
December 8, 2019, 1:00 PM · Most of the time when people talk about their beloved sturdy Bobelock, they're referring to the 1017 Hill-style suspension case, which is more than $300 when not on sale, and can often be found for about $250 on sale. Still within the OP's budget, though.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe