Earplugs for kids

December 2, 2019, 9:46 PM · Does anyone have experience with kids being bothered by the loud volume of the violin? My son has no problem playing piano but recently says the violin is too loud. He's always been a little sensitive to sound. I got him a mute which is good sometimes but I thought earplugs might be the way to go for performance. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
GXS

Replies (9)

December 2, 2019, 10:53 PM · Earplugs can be tricky for little kids. I found that an old pair of over-the-ear headphones worked for my daughter when she was younger. I had to cut the cord off, however, because she didn't want that dangling around whilst playing.
December 3, 2019, 2:16 AM · There are headphones dedicated only to blocking noise, for construction workers etc.
If your local CVS doesn’t carry them, Amazon will doubtless have something.
December 3, 2019, 8:40 AM · There are quite a few products for hearing protection for kids and smaller ear canals. I think it's a great idea to try to protect their hearing, and maybe help build a long-term habit of care which will reduce hearing damage over time.

One caveat which comes to mind is that inserting objects into the ear can push wax into them, and then cause problem with wax buildup - discomfort and hearing reduction, which then need to be removed, which need further incursions into the ears and then remove the wax which could have been providing some protection.

So although ear inserts might seem to be less encumbering, in the end, a bigger solution around the ears might be less invasive, as Paul suggested. Some of them are designed for kids as well.

December 3, 2019, 12:25 PM · Yes, my girl has had issues with the violin feeling too loud. i got her kids earplugs from thoman, they only had one brand making small earplugs and they have been great. She has used them when listening in a concert (I use earplugs too, cannot understand why not many do, the orchestra is so loud) and sometimes she also uses them when practising and there has been no problems,
December 3, 2019, 4:37 PM · Plug her left ear with a kids ear plug and it should all be good. Plugging both ears is unnecessary in my opinion.
December 3, 2019, 8:47 PM · Construction-worker headphones will be too effective. And they can be quite heavy. Might want to find a way to try before you buy.

When my kids were little they really struggled to figure out how to put in earplugs. It's not as easy as it looks.

December 4, 2019, 9:54 PM · Musicians earbuds that are available in a small size would likely help a lot. We use Hearos Small size in our household because we are adults with small ears.
December 5, 2019, 5:08 AM · While using an earplug in the left ear can be helpful, using earplugs in both ears will totally defeat the youngster's (or oldster's!) ability to properly control dynamics. Always leave one ear unplugged so the musician can hear the actual sounds they are making.

I conduct a community band in which several members wear earplugs in both ears and it is nearly impossible to get them to play a true pianissimo because while it sounds soft to them through the earplugs, it is still way too loud. And getting them to get the proper piece open on their stands can be a problem since they don't hear me speaking.

If a person is too sensitive to sound, they might consider pursuing some other quieter artistic outlet such as painting, sculpting, poetry, fiction writing, acting.

December 5, 2019, 6:45 AM · Is this during practice or all the time? If primarily practice, is she playing in a small, live room? Is it still too loud playing outdoors? Am wondering if changing where she practices might help.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe