Praeludium and Allegro

November 26, 2019, 7:49 AM · Favorite Youtubes and recordings? For daughter who is learning.

Replies (27)

Edited: November 26, 2019, 9:31 AM · this video may be inspiring for your daughter:

Leila Josefowicz Plays Kreisler - 1991

November 26, 2019, 8:17 AM · Link does not work.
November 26, 2019, 8:20 AM · The link works for me.
November 26, 2019, 9:13 AM · Hmmmm. Not a button for me just text
November 26, 2019, 9:28 AM · Ida Haendel's on youtube is great
November 26, 2019, 9:31 AM · Matthew, I made it clickable now.
November 26, 2019, 9:48 AM · Thanks, yes, she loves the Josefowicz. Will show her Haendel’s.
November 26, 2019, 10:09 AM · V.com does not automatically turn link text into hyperlinks. Just cut and paste the link into your browser.
Edited: November 26, 2019, 12:52 PM · I like Midori's version.

Praeludium
and Allegro in the Style of Pugnani

@Jean, how did you make yours clickable?

Edited: November 26, 2019, 11:57 AM · copy-paste is not so handy on a smartphone I suppose...

you type something like the following:

<a href="link address">text that you can click on</a>

so you replace "link address" by the link address, keeping the double quotes. in "text you can click on" you can type something descriptive, e.g., the title of the video. for example for your YouTube link, you could type:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JEtsSfEFPY">Praeludium
and Allegro in the Style of Pugnani</a>

November 26, 2019, 12:43 PM · Another vote for Ida Haendel.
November 26, 2019, 12:53 PM · Thanks, Jean. I edited my link :-)
November 26, 2019, 6:40 PM · I found David Galoustov's rendering most inspiring, and my most favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDM3f0SYd3I
November 26, 2019, 8:47 PM · Josefowicz's interpretation seems to me to be at odds with the composition and the accompaniment in this case, as it's Kreisler (who made recordings himself), not say Beethoven in a foul mood. Or did I hear it incorrectly?
November 26, 2019, 8:59 PM · Joo Young Oh
November 27, 2019, 7:12 AM · There is a nice one by Kerson Leong on YouTube.
November 27, 2019, 8:05 AM · J Ray give her a break. It is the interpretation of a teenager with loads of talent and ambition. Which may be very inspiring for the topic at hand (Matthew's daughter). On the other hand I agree that Matthew's daughter will also benefit from hearing very "correct" interpretations. Could you contribute a suggestion?
November 27, 2019, 8:33 AM · Ruggiero Ricci has recorded a number of Kreisler's works, including the Praeludium and Allegro played with all the fire you expect from that artist.

Here is a YouTube link (sound only):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGgBh15RFRc

November 27, 2019, 10:43 AM · J Ray, I agree. Josefowicz is a really ham-handed player. I second the Midori.

I just heard this one the other day and quite liked it:

Edited: November 27, 2019, 12:32 PM · Just a technical suggestion:

At the top of the third page, there's a pattern that uses two hooked staccato notes after a trill.

It's probably just my own technical limitation, but I eventually realized that those two hooked notes were really causing me a speed bump. So I simply eliminated them and played the passage as it comes. It all works out in the end anyway.

I seldom hear the opening phrased in a very interesting way. Maybe it's the large jumps that discourage a more melodic line. I found that with the Wilkomirska recording above--just sawing away on all the notes equally.

I also found her lack of bow stroke variety in the allegro little boring. Why not more off the string in some places? Especially the opening--too legato for me.

Edited: November 27, 2019, 1:05 PM · Scott, I think the Midori version has an opening that is phrased and shaped in an intuitive way. I admit I tend to like that way. The Wilkomirska seems to mirror how it was taught to me, emphasizing the accent on each note (which I think is reflected in the sheet music, but don't quote me on that), and a more "noble" (but arguably "blander" or perhaps, more "impersonal") interpretation. To my ears, there is still a shape to Wilkomirska's, and to some extent I think you can have a middle ground, but there seems to be an intrinsic pull between accenting each note and shaping the phrase (but I guess to not take that up as a challenge would only indicate my laziness as a musician).

I personally like the smoothness and cleanliness of the allegro as a feature, which has an elegant quality that still doesn't stop the cadenza section from having some fire. I guess adding a rustic quality with more off-the-string doesn't fit with my notion of the piece.

I always wonder how Kreisler would have played it. I wonder if that bowing comes from a certain notion of baroque playing from the time period (Not that there seemed to be a HIP movement yet), or of Kreisler's subjective approach.

Tasmin Little here seems to have a similar quality to my ears here with the score (presumably the edition reflects the original)

Edited: November 27, 2019, 1:38 PM · The striking thing about Leila's performance is her incredible focus and energy. But I guess that, regardless of age, one lacking focus and energy does not get invited to play one's violin in front of the Boston Pops.

Also, remember that you're talking about a brilliant prodigy who was probably working her way through the warhorse romantic concerto literature at the time. In other words, she chose the P&A because it was short, sufficiently showy, and with an orchestral accompaniment that is "barely there," but also probably it was a very easy number for her to play at the time.

I wonder how many people, watching that little girl in her ordinary blue dress and striving desperately to saw her violin in half, would have predicted she would grow up to model for Chanel.

November 27, 2019, 3:13 PM · I think my daughter responds to Leila’s similar age. And energy
(Speed!). We’ve been listening to the Midori which is beautifully done.
Thanks for all the recommendations!
November 27, 2019, 7:57 PM · Mathew, I am glad your daughter found her models for learning.
Edited: November 27, 2019, 11:48 PM · My favorite recording of Kreisler's, Praeludium and Allegro, as well as other music that Kreisler composed or played is by Oscar
Shumsky, violin with Milton Kaye and William Wolfram, piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lzj_sLQvcQ

November 28, 2019, 6:28 AM · Matthew, if your daughter relates to violinists closer to her own age, you might find the renditions of Nathan Meltzer (11 at the time) and the young David Garrett (age 14) to be of interest:

Nathan Meltzer

David Garrett

November 29, 2019, 2:20 PM · Shumsky isn't blitzing it.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe