Smoothness

Edited: November 23, 2019, 6:15 AM · Hello,
I am currently learning the WF Benda F major viola concerto and the first couple of bars of the solo part I have been struggling with slightly.
Its double stops and seperately its fine (like each set of double stops by themselves).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to smooth the change? At the moment it just sounds clunky.

Thanks in advance.

Replies (5)

November 23, 2019, 7:11 AM · I have the same issue (if I'm understanding your question correctly) with the first bar of the Beethoven G-Major Romance (Op. 40). I suspect that one simply needs to get to the new stops more quickly and more securely (without sacrificing accuracy, obviously) and this will smooth out the transition. Now let's see if anyone has any short-cuts that we couldn't envision.
November 23, 2019, 7:20 AM · I've never studied this concerto (or even heard of it before just now), but I looked it up on IMSLP.

Instead of trying to move your second finger across strings, I would play both the C and the F on the D string, and keep the open A string for both double-stops. I think it's easier to shift between 1st and 3rd position smoothly than to move a finger from string to string.

November 23, 2019, 8:29 AM · Paul, I can agree with Beethoven G major romance. And Andrew. Thanks a lot! I've tried it and it works better than what I was doing (4 on A and 2 on C). It just means that I have to practise the shift as you say, which is less of a pain than what I was already doing!
December 1, 2019, 12:17 PM · Paul,Beethoven Romance.
The first chord is 3 on the D and 2 on the G.
For the second chord, try shifting up a bit so it's 1 on the D and 2 on the G. It seems smoother than trying to sort of swap fingers.
December 4, 2019, 8:58 AM · My teacher gave an alternative which works even better for me

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe