Bach Concerto No. 3 for quartet- Suggestions Needed

November 21, 2019, 6:41 PM · Suggestions needed for good quartet arrangement of Bach Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, 1st mvt :)
Playing impromptu wedding this weekend & I'd love suggestions. Thanks!

Replies (12)

November 21, 2019, 6:47 PM · You can purchase parts: LINK

IIRC the Latham arrangement is decent.

November 21, 2019, 6:52 PM · Thanks, Lydia! Do you know where I might purchase & download parts?
November 21, 2019, 7:10 PM · https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/score-preview.jsp?pepnum=5892484E

Here's one... :)

November 21, 2019, 11:32 PM · My quartet uses a school arrangement, I think the one by Merle Isaac.
November 21, 2019, 11:50 PM · Probably. The Merle Isaac is for string orchestra. It's significantly simplified from the real thing. When I was a high schooler, we'd use it for dinner gigs.
Edited: November 22, 2019, 9:27 AM · "Significantly simplified" is a feature, not a bug, when it comes to gig music.
November 24, 2019, 6:29 PM · Last Resort has it in their quartet and trio collections. When I play gigs, we generally avoid it though--too many page turns in the wrong places.
November 24, 2019, 6:35 PM · IIRC the Merle Isaac version is a convenient two pages in fairly large "font". (As Mary Ellen puts it, this is a feature.)
November 25, 2019, 4:09 AM · Mary Ellen, I love your comment:
" "Significantly simplified" is a feature, not a bug, when it comes to gig music."

I think that all too often we prepare for gigs with the mistaken idea that people will actually be listening to us and will be fascinated by complex music. But nothing could be further than the truth so we should make things as easy as possible on ourselves. Save the hard stuff for recitals and for the concert hall.

Merle Isaac was a genius at that in the orchestra world, and Harold Walters was a similar genius at that in the band world.

November 25, 2019, 8:11 AM · The practical truth about gigs is that they are basically a dollar-an-hour equation. If a gig requires any rehearsal, that ratio drops precipitously. Optimal gig arrangements result in casual listeners thinking, "Hey, that sounds like X, cool" while being completely sight-readable with absolutely nothing unexpected that could throw anyone off.

Every single wedding that I went to over the period of a couple of years when all of my friends were getting married involved musicians who couldn't play in tune, including some especially cringeworthy violinists. (Musician bios indicated these folks were all pros; no excuses for not being able to manage a simplified arrangement of "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring".) When it came for my turn, I opted for the complex music, recorded!

November 25, 2019, 12:10 PM · "'Significantly simplified' is a feature, not a bug, when it comes to gig music."

Those are the words of an experienced, highly giggified pro. 98% of your audience will not know the difference, and the 2% that do know will appreciate that you're playing a gig and you're not butchering it even though you never rehearsed together.

November 28, 2019, 9:05 PM · https://matt-naughtin.myshopify.com/products/mattmus-sonic-net-26?_pos=1&_sid=92c590b2c&_ss=r
Matthew Naughtin's arrangements are fantastic. This one is $8.00.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe