Larsen Il Cannone Strings

November 21, 2019, 11:46 AM · There are some past threads that are archived and they're kind of old too. Anyone currently using these? Specifically the solo ones and what do you like or dislike?

Replies (9)

November 21, 2019, 3:41 PM · I have been using the Cannone not the solo on my Vuillaume and loved them. Tonight I changed the G to a Rondo and really prefer it.
Edited: November 21, 2019, 3:48 PM · I posted my impressions sometime back: LINK

I've got Rondos on my Vuillaume at the moment. I'm considering going to back to Passione for the winter, but I'm really happy with the Rondos still, and at almost six months on this violin, they still seem to be going strong (whether or not they're as good as they were new, I dunno, since strings die so gradually, but they are still certainly very responsive, sound harmonics nicely, etc.)

Passiones and EP Golds, etc. generally last me three to four months before they no longer sound great, even if they are functional.

Every Larsen-made string I have ever used has had the tendency to die under a month in terms of tone quality.

November 21, 2019, 7:59 PM · I have only ever used EP Gold on my viola, and they still sound decent ish after almost a year on it. I've never really thought about trying different strings
November 21, 2019, 8:20 PM · Lydia, I've been hooked on Rondos too and believe we had a discussion about them not too long ago!

But as always, I get this itch to try something new. There are too many options out there, haha!

November 22, 2019, 8:03 AM · A box of new Il Cannones and a box of new Rondo violin strings have been waiting in my string drawer for a few years now and I may try them.
BUT
My #1 and #2 violin are better under EP Gold strings with a PI-Pt E "topper" than ever in the 70 and 45 years I've had them. While #3 and #4 (47 and 20 years respectively) are have their best behavior under sets of Warchal Timbre (except #3 has a Warchal Avantgarde A).

VIOLA #1 is finally OK (after 24 years) with Dominant Weich A & C and Pirastro Permanent D $ G strings.
VIOLA #2 has always been even toned and pretty powerful with every kind of string I've ever had on it these past 46 tears and fortunately is doing great under the EB Gold set that Viola #1 rejected.

My 3 cellos have been hard to optimize too, but I'm not playing them much these days and maybe it's time to save money toward "long term care."

IT IS TIME FOR ME TO STOP BEING TEMPTED BY EVERY NEW STRING I LEARN ABOUT!!!!

November 22, 2019, 10:49 AM · Because new strings are always much better than old strings (even strings that just a few weeks old), we always perceive a huge delta between what we have and what we're putting on.

For that reason, I generally prefer to try strings at shops where I can go through many sets in a row, and thus be able to compare them all side by side. In the past, when strings were cheaper, I also tried strings in rapid sequence, but sets, especially high-end sets, are now too expensive for that kind of experiment. I don't mind abandoning a set after two weeks of experimentation if it really sucks, but I'm reluctant to do that frequently.

November 22, 2019, 11:29 AM · Jamie wrote:
"But as always, I get this itch to try something new. There are too many options out there, haha!"

What do people truly mean when they "make a lifelong commitment"? Does it really mean "until further notice"?

November 22, 2019, 12:01 PM · Maybe not the perfect place to mention marital issues but also there are many studies showing that simple things to plan for in marriage reduce divorce rate significantly
November 24, 2019, 8:45 AM · One thing I've been wondering about recently is the new formulation of strings and what it says about new violins. After all (we might say), the best antiques sounded just fine with gut strings, and then Eudoxas, and then Dominants. Is adding a sexy synthetic to a new violin sort of like putting ice and lemon in a New World Cabernet to make it competitive with Bordeaux?

Or, is it just that every fiddle has a preferred formula, and that Dominants, say, were made to conform to the way a large batch of antiques had been adjusted over the decades? If you look at tension charts, each brand not only has different absolute values, but distributes its tension differently.

Not sure. Anyway, I haven't tried Cannone's but do have a set of Tziganes ready to go when I want to experiment with one of my instruments. Right now, I am using Warchal Timbres with my Needham Strad model and am quite infatuated. Much broader and deeper sound, with special power from the G that was never there before. It also makes clearer when the bridge needs to get put back in the correct spot. If I lose the bass response, chances are good that one of the feet on the bridge has wandered just a bit. Probably less than a millimeter, but enough. Maybe that is one reason that newer violins don't always beat older ones-- the varnish hasn't worn down enough to hold the bridge in its best position.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe