Suzuki Book 3 Level Supplements?

November 19, 2019, 7:01 PM · I'm an adult violin student, teaching myself for about 1.5 years, about 3/4 of the way through Suzuki Book 3. The level of challenge is about right, but I don't feel I'm ready for Book 4 (still some technique I'd like to master first). Anyone have suggestions for books or possibly online material that are about the same level? I'd like to keep practicing (current and new music) at that level while I work on technique. Thanks!

Replies (6)

Edited: November 19, 2019, 7:42 PM · Wohlfahrt Studies (60). Pine edition recommended but you can find these on IMSLP too I think. Solos for Young Violinists Book 1 by Barbara Barber has nice pieces and the book is not expensive.
November 20, 2019, 8:34 AM · Thanks Paul! I'll look into those.
November 20, 2019, 8:53 AM · I second Paul's recommendations. My favorite Barber Pieces from book 1 for the in-between Suzuki 3-4 are Papini Theme and Variations, Huber Concerto, and the Puppet Show. The Reiding B-minor Concerto would also be a good choice at this level.
For Technical material: Have you started 3rd position yet?, if not I would get Essential Technique for Strings (Essential Elements book 3), then also go back and do Suzuki book 3 with all of the optional 3rd position fingerings.
Since you are teaching yourself, I would highly recommend Sound Innovations book 3 (the beginning has some great descriptions of various bow techniques, and the back has some good shifting/3rd position stuff), and/or the Applebaum Building Technique with Beautiful Music (probably books 2-4) since they have pretty good detailed instructions/descriptions of various bow techniques.
November 20, 2019, 12:29 PM · William Fitzpatrick's "Violin Melodies" are a concise and efficient exploration of a range of technical skills needed to reach the Vivaldi A Minor Concerto and the Kayser Etudes, and well-worth exploring for players in Suzuki Books 3 and 4.

It's available from www.virtualsheetmusic.com!

November 20, 2019, 7:50 PM · Ingrid, Gene thanks so much for your suggestions! The Barber book looks like a great investment; at first I thought it might be too easy (listening to the pieces on YouTube), but by the middle part of the book it doesn't seem all that easy, lol. I'll also look into your other suggestions.
November 21, 2019, 1:16 AM · https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0571539777/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe