piece suggestions, please!

November 11, 2019, 5:00 AM · A few friends and I are putting together a recital for early January. We have a string quartet, piano, and oboe to work with. I thought it would be nice to play one piece (or movement of) all together.

So, I'm looking for repertoire for piano quintet plus oboe. Any thoughts?

Much appreciation!

Replies (23)

November 11, 2019, 6:02 AM · I wonder if there might be an arrangement of Gabriel’s Oboe out there somewhere, for the instruments mentioned. Sounds like a fun project, good luck with the performance!
November 11, 2019, 8:40 AM · I expect you've searched chamber music for 6 players on IMSLP and discovered - nothing close. However if one of your violins would like to take a rest there's a quintet by Theodore Dubois that sounds rather nice
November 11, 2019, 8:45 AM · M Zilpah's suggestion of Gabriel's Oboe sounds like a great idea. I think you might have to adapt an existing arrangement -- probably combine a piano-plus-oboe arrangement with a string quartet arrangement. But it's a lovely work. (I use the Vitamin String Quartet's arrangement of it as my alarm clock sound.)
November 14, 2019, 9:42 PM · When you have a collection of folks like that, and you are putting together a full recital, everyone does not need to be playing all the time.
November 14, 2019, 10:12 PM · Bach's Concerto for Violin and Oboe (Concerto for Violin and Oboe in C minor, BWV 1060) is available on IMSLP.org in several transcriptions that might be adaptable to your needs.

It is really marvelous music.

November 15, 2019, 9:23 AM · What Paul said - do different sub-groups for the recital. Piano quintet or quartet there is a lot of music to choose from. For oboe and strings there is off course the Mozart quartet which is a nice piece. And there is a quintet by Crusell. Mix that with a piece for oboe and piano and finish off with Gabriels oboe with everyone playing. I have a copy of a score for oboe, string quartet and organ (although if I remember correctly the organ part is more or less just all 4 string parts put together).
November 15, 2019, 9:46 AM · Funny how often when you ask a question people say "No that's the wrong question. Here's the answer to a different one"
November 15, 2019, 5:10 PM · Sometimes the original question has no answer.
November 15, 2019, 8:26 PM · Reframing questions well is an important skill for productive, meaningful discussions.
Edited: November 16, 2019, 1:58 AM · Sure, but when the question is to identify "one piece (or movement)" that the group can play "all together"? Pace Paul and Bo, I think Anita already sussed that they don't all need to play throughout the entire program.
Edited: November 16, 2019, 9:17 AM · Come on, Steve. Didn't you lead off with asking if one of their violinists wanted to "take a rest"?

Anita -- if you're looking to play something "all together" than one of your other choices is for one or more of your group to play a part (say, on the oboe) that was not written for his or her instrument. It might require a bit of arranging or playing some passages in a different octave, etc. An oboist reading from the score of a piano quintet could highlight passages out of the piano or violin parts to transfer or double.

November 16, 2019, 3:21 PM · Sorry it has taken me so long to reply - I had a small accident last week and was a bit indisposed...

Gabriel's Oboe is a lovely piece for oboe...perhaps I could arrange something...though I'm a bit short on time, to be honest, and assume the parts for existing arrangements would not be free anywhere?

Yes, of course there will be many pieces in the evening in which not everyone will play...we are doing some solo pieces with piano, a few duets, possibly a movement or two of a piano quintet, perhaps a trio. That was all pretty straightforward to plan, of course.

It was just requested by one of the players that we find something to play all together at the end, and I couldn't think of a way to make that possible. So yes, it was a purposeful question - (I was thinking there might be a Bach piece for string orchestra, harpsichord, and oboe that could be adapted for our group) - but perhaps it wasn't a good one. However, there was only one way to find out...

I didn't do an IMSLP 6 player chamber music search because I didn't know that was possible...but thanks for the tip.

November 16, 2019, 4:53 PM · I sincerely apologize for giving unsolicited advice. My bad for not reading the question thoroughly. However I'm happy to send you the arrangemang of Gabriels Oboe if you want it. It's still a nice piece even if the piano plays roughly the same as the strings.....
November 16, 2019, 5:30 PM · I see no need for any apologies from anyone! I didn't mean to imply that - my own apologies.

That would be lovely, thank you! Hmm...are you able to find my email through the site?

November 16, 2019, 10:35 PM · Every oboist probably already knows Gabriel's Oboe.
November 17, 2019, 1:26 AM · To search IMSLP for music scored for a particular ensemble the click trail goes as follows:

Scores
Instrumentation/genre
Instrumental
Chamber-Instrumental [show]
For 6 players [subgenres]
Then click your chosen combination - [walk] if you want to break down the list even further

Unfortunately that leads to precisely zero for oboe, string quartet and piano, but it's a great feature

November 17, 2019, 5:39 PM · You could try searching for arrangements on musescore.com. You need an account to download, but it's free. If you can learn a bit of Musescore, you can do a bit of auto-transcribing parts, like turning a clarinet part into a violin part by simply changing the instrument associated with it.
November 17, 2019, 8:16 PM · Another vote for Musescore. Really nice for the transcribing feature, etc. Also with more advanced software like Sibelius or Finale, you can scan in a score from IMSLP and it will open up into parts in the software and you can edit, transcribe, change instruments, move stuff around, and arrange to your heart's content.
November 18, 2019, 2:24 AM · Anita - your e-mail is not on your member page, so I can't send the files. But I took a quick look at musescore.com and there are several arrangements you could use there.
Paul - you make it sound so easy. Maybe the scanning function is better in later versions (I have Sibelius 7) but I find that there is often extensive editing to do to get it all right. For a quick one off creation of parts from a score check out partifi.org. It is a tool for automatic cutting-pasting individual instruments from a score into parts. Sort of like what we did with scissors and glue in the old days. The result is not pretty, but it does the job and its quick.
November 18, 2019, 8:40 AM · Bo, you're right -- there is definitely a learning curve to that software and the OCR is not always accurate. After you scan in, there is a fair amount of clean-up required. It helps to start with a very tidy score, of course. I have no idea what Sibelius would do with a PDF of a Bach manuscript.
November 18, 2019, 8:52 AM · I tried a hand written manuscript once - can't remember now what the music was - and it was so many wrong calls from the software that it was quicker to enter the music via a midi-keyboard.
November 18, 2019, 8:21 PM · Midi keyboard for entry ... oh that's such a great idea. I need to be doing that. Thanks Bo.
November 21, 2019, 12:45 PM · Thanks everyone! I actually downloaded musescore about a month ago for notating an arrangement, and found it quite intuitive and nice. Being always a bit technologically behind, I didn't realize one could search for scores! Handy to know, thank you!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe