Music advancement program

Edited: November 8, 2019, 1:38 PM · Do you think Mendelssohn’s violin concerto in e-minor (1. mvt), and Bach partita 2 Allemande is good for auditioning? I’m auditioning for a music advancement program for young talents between 13-19 years old. Would you consider the Mendelssohn and Bach high enough level for a 15 year old auditioning? The level there is kind of different, some young students there play like IRC and Polonaise D-major, while some older students play a bit easier rep. Am I at the level to be able to get admitted? Thanks in advance!

Replies (8)

November 8, 2019, 2:20 PM · Nobody can answer your question about getting admitted without hearing you *and* being familiar with this particular program. That being said, the Bach d minor Allemande is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than the first movement of Mendelssohn. If you can play Mendelssohn well, you should tackle a harder movement of Bach. If the Allemande is more representative of your current level, you should play something easier than Mendelssohn.

You should always play repertoire that you can learn well.

November 8, 2019, 2:23 PM · Mary Elldn is correct. Don't learn things that are too hard. The judges will not be impressed
Edited: November 8, 2019, 2:49 PM · Thanks for your replies! The Mendelssohn is the most representative of my current level (however, I forgot to mention that I am only on the page 4 out of 7). I’m learning the bach for a concert soo, and as an easier piece beside the Mendelssohn. I was gonna start on the G-minor sonata, but my teacher told me to start working on an easier Bach piece, because I haven’t worked on any yet. The Bach Allemande hasn’t been a challenge for me, I’m more working on the musicality I belive that I keep getting more used to Mendelssohn, and the intonation and the musicality is good, I belive. The problem I have with it as of now is the stress feeling when playing the fast parts of the concerto. That often occurs, because I overthink every small aspect of it that I need to play very well. I have spent quite some time on it, because my teacher belives it gets more mature troughout a lot of time.
November 8, 2019, 2:38 PM · If you're going to do Bach at least do something with double stops in it.
November 8, 2019, 2:39 PM · Yes, you should learn the d minor partita but if you're at Mendelssohn level, it isn't going to do you any favors as an audition piece. If there isn't time to learn the g minor adagio, why don't you learn the Andante from the A major?
November 8, 2019, 2:43 PM · I will ask my teacher about if we can do the Andante from A major. Thanks!
November 8, 2019, 3:01 PM · Surely you mean the a minor?
November 8, 2019, 3:28 PM · Yes, a minor, sorry.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe