Sonatas and Partitas

November 6, 2019, 12:28 PM · Any favorite editions of the Bach Sonatas and Partitas for violin?

Replies (15)

November 6, 2019, 12:51 PM · In terms of sheet music?
Edited: November 6, 2019, 1:32 PM · The Szeryng edition from Schott, because it's edited by Szeryng, and because Schott editions are printed and bound pretty handsomely (and it's pretty inexpensive to boot!).

I haven't compared with Galamian or Flesch or anyone else, though.

November 6, 2019, 2:38 PM · I like the Urtext (Barenreiter's paper is lovely) and Rachel Barton Pine editions.
November 6, 2019, 2:42 PM · For pieces I usually use the Verlag's editions (but some people prefer Peters,etc...)
For the moment I haven't buy Bach ' S&P because I'm just playing the second allemanda, the gigue(3 partita) and the gavotte
November 6, 2019, 3:21 PM · I have a Barenreiter edition of it. I love it
November 6, 2019, 3:32 PM · Our go to has been the Szeryng edition plus the early copies from IMSLP: https://imslp.org/wiki/6_Violin_Sonatas_and_Partitas,_BWV_1001-1006_(Bach,_Johann_Sebastian)

I am very intrigued by Rachel Barton Pine's new edition though!

Edited: November 6, 2019, 3:59 PM · How many threads have there been on this in the past?

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/24440/
https://www.violinist.com/blog/weekendvote/200712/7999/
etc.
etc.
etc.

Edited: November 9, 2019, 8:59 AM · I've been using Raphael Bronstein's edition and Technical Analysis, but would be interested in your opinions of them. Thanks.
November 10, 2019, 7:21 AM · I am with Christian on the Schott edition by Szeryng. It is an urtext (Szeryng distinguishes his edits from Bach's original ms) and has some material on baroque technique.
November 11, 2019, 10:59 PM · Szeryng is good for modern, RBP for baroque style (not necessarily with baroque equipment). I would stay away from Galamian, which is outdated even for what is considered "romantic" style today. Very interesting also is one by Sandor Devich (Editio Musica Budapest), which, as Szeryng's, stays close to Bach's manuscript. But ultimately you want to have your own edition. Clean Barenreiter (with a few mistakes) is available on IMSLP, or Henle has a lovely edition for about $50.
November 12, 2019, 12:34 AM · I would LOVE to get my hands on a copy of the Bronstein edition!
November 12, 2019, 4:16 AM · Nobody has mentioned the autograph yet! Usually it gets in by the third post or so.. :)

Its at the back of the Galamian edition (also not mentioned but, I guess for different reasons). There is NOTHING like the music in the composer's own hand - oh how much is lost when handwriting is transcribed to print! Sadly this will be but a memory in the future where there will never be a record of the composer's human hand.

November 16, 2019, 9:32 AM · Nowadays very often the composer's hand is a computer keyboard.
November 16, 2019, 11:35 AM · … exactly, that was my point. Nothing personal is recorded, not even the rhythm of the keystrokes.
November 16, 2019, 11:52 AM · elise, could you be more specific on what exactly is lost in the transcription to print?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe