Bobelock and gewa violin cases

November 3, 2019, 7:43 PM · Hi There,

I'm planning to buy a budget case which is ethier going to be a fibreglass bobelock case or the gewa bio oblong violin case. But I'm having a hard time decide

What are your experiences with these types of cases?

Which one would you prefer?

Replies (25)

November 3, 2019, 7:46 PM · Shaped or oblong?
November 3, 2019, 7:55 PM · For the gewa bio, oblong.
For the bobelock shaped/contoured
November 3, 2019, 8:13 PM · If your violin is worth anything to you, I recommend a plywood case for mechanical protection. My daughter has been using the Embassy Courier case ($149 from Shar) for about six years and it's still in great shape.
November 3, 2019, 8:30 PM · Would a wooden one be stronger than a fibreglass one?
November 3, 2019, 9:17 PM · Its more likely to be yeah
Edited: November 4, 2019, 7:27 PM · I'd highly recommend the new Gewa "Pure" polycarbonate cases, which only cost $220 (shaped) and $250 (oblong). They are well designed, scratch resistant, extremely tough, and have many features of cases costing two to three times as much. I recently bought both designs and have found them to be absolutely excellent! While I got the white versions since they do better with temperature regulation in direct sunlight, the grey model looks absolutely stunning.

https://www.concordmusic.com/products/pure-by-gewa-shaped-violin-case-polycarbonate-1-8

https://www.concordmusic.com/products/pure-by-gewa-oblong-violin-case-polycarbonate-2-4

Edited: November 3, 2019, 11:32 PM · I have a GEWA bio oblong that I purchased for my Yamaha YEV electric. It's spacious, which is good if you like to bring everything with you. (That's especially good with an electric, where you might want to carry a preamp, cables, and your shoulder rest too.) It has one fatal flaw, and that is that when you set it down on its edge, where the hinges are, with the handle up, it falls over onto its base. A huge design oversight. Mine is the simpler one of the two bio oblongs that lacks a music pocket and subway handle. Maybe the fancier one doesn't have that "fall over" problem, but I'd check before I bought it.
Edited: November 3, 2019, 11:13 PM · How strong would you say the gewa bio ones are? Like for example if I were to press on it?
Edited: November 4, 2019, 12:36 AM · Hi Gene, are the clips good on those things? I hope they last long.
November 4, 2019, 12:55 AM · We tested the Gewa Bio oblong in a crush resistance assessment in a lab at the Milan Polytechnic University and it performed surprisingly well. It's true that the shell flexes, however there is a lot more clearance between the lid and the bridge than most other cases.

Of the two types of cases you mention, I would readily recommend the Gewa Bio.

Edited: November 4, 2019, 1:16 AM · Darren, the GEWA bio-s oblong is somewhat flexible under heavy pressure. It makes up for that by the spaciousness I referred to earlier. When my case is closed with my violin in it there's about an inch of clearance between the case top and the bridge. So it is a relatively safe case, especially at the price point. But it's bulky, though not heavy, and the hardware is kind of cheap, though functional. I also suspect that it's discontinued by GEWA, because most of the sellers who've offered it say that it's either out of stock or no longer available. A few sellers seem to have very limited stock. I honestly think you should look for something else.
November 4, 2019, 1:10 AM · How bout the bobelocks? Which one would be more protective?

I guess the the bobelocks will be much more water resistant as well?

November 4, 2019, 4:21 PM · Dimitri Musafia is likely THE authority on cases. If he is giving a qualified approval to the Bio case I would listen.
A friend uses a Bio for his Domenico Montagnana and last winter slipped and fell, landing on the case across the edge of a kerb. No significant damage occurred (except to his ribs).
The Bio is light and very stylish.
My
wife uses a fibreglass Bobelock. Its quite heavy but very tough and she has been very happy with it. For what its worth, in another thread sometime ago, Mr Bobelock himself stated what we all know in our hearts, that a properly constructed plywood case offers the best protection to the instrument inside
November 4, 2019, 5:09 PM · O ok, that's interesting!!!
November 4, 2019, 5:10 PM · There both great cases!
Edited: November 4, 2019, 9:27 PM · I once took a hard fall off a bike with my oblong Bobelock case on my back--that was the last time I ever rode with my violin--at any rate, my violin was barely even out of tune. I was not in nearly as good shape as my fiddle was, though.
November 5, 2019, 10:09 AM · Alternate career choice: violin transport. Crumple zones will protect case.
November 5, 2019, 11:21 AM · Bobelock cases have always been one of my "best-bang-for-the-buck" go-to's.
That said, I have not tested the latest offerings from Gewa.

Dimitri Musafia offers some really nice stuff!

November 5, 2019, 2:15 PM · Bobelock is a classic. It's very consistent, it's strong, but it's also heavy and some airlines might give you a hard time over the size. I now use a Gewa case, because it is compact, light-weight, never had trouble with an airline. When I researched it I saw some studies Gewa published about their strength testing and I can't remember the details, but I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't impressed. That being said, I doubt the strength of the case will ever be tested by me, because my case has never even been damaged. I treat my violin as gently as if it was an actual human baby...and that goes for the case as well if the violin is inside. I can't understand all these famous players I hear about who left their violin in taxis, buses, trains... etc. What kind of completely neglectful....anyway... that's enough out of me on that...cheers.
November 5, 2019, 3:11 PM · Thanks!
November 5, 2019, 7:45 PM · " I can't understand all these famous players I hear about who left their violin in taxis, buses, trains... etc. What kind of completely neglectful....anyway... that's enough out of me on that...cheers."

People are human; they make mistakes. They get stressed, they're out of their routine, things happen. I once walked off and left my violin in the lobby where I had been sitting and chatting with people (out of my routine, and I had a lot on my mind). Fortunately my friend's daughter noticed it and came running after me.

People who don't understand that we're all vulnerable to such errors are at even greater risk themselves. You might google prospective and semantic memory to read the science behind leaving a valuable violin on the train, or (worse) a child in a car. It is a memory problem, not a negligence problem.

November 5, 2019, 8:40 PM · Im always forgoting things like leaving my bows everywhere lol. From lesson to even concerts! One time we had an orchestra tour down south,(6 hour drive) and after one of the concerts, while I was on the coach going back home, I had a funny feeling that I had left my bow at the concert venue, so I checked my case and it wasn't there. Then I had a panic attack because I knew my mother would kill me when she find out. Luckily a violist had picked up my bow and I couldn't thank him enough so I bought him McDonald's.
November 6, 2019, 4:53 AM · Well, that's a fair point, Mary. Perhaps my wording was a bit harsh.
Edited: November 6, 2019, 11:36 AM · Oh shoot, where did I leave my car keys? Has anyone never asked that?

When traveling, I have often looked inside the case, to see if I remembered to put the violin inside, versus leaving it in a hotel somewhere. ;-)

I have never lost a violin during a travel, but have often lost items of clothing.

November 7, 2019, 2:17 PM · I have two Bobelock fiberglass cases, a white 1060 oblong and a red 1007 shaped.
I would buy both of the again, after many years use. A bit heavy, but they both are like new, if you don't count the outside battle scars.
And they look great.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe