1709 violin left on a train now happily reunited with its owner

Edited: November 2, 2019, 7:24 PM · The loss of this violin on October 22, 2019 apparently was not reported on this forum, but now here is the good news:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50275613

Replies (9)

November 2, 2019, 7:44 PM · Good news, I was surprised it was not reported here.
November 3, 2019, 7:25 AM · Here is a video of the owner being interviewed on BBC TV, and playing
his recovered violin during the interview - that must be a first!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-50280238/musician-stephen-morris-shock-as-lost-250000-violin-returned

November 3, 2019, 11:24 AM · There was a similar thing in Boston when Malcolm Lowe was auditioning for the concertmaster slot. He brought a Gagliano with him that somehow disappeared. It was returned, and in gratitude he played some Kreisler for the cops at the station.

No YouTube for that, of course, but a Globe reporter did cover the story.

November 3, 2019, 5:22 PM · How does this happen? I traveled with my violin and it was always in line if sight.
November 3, 2019, 5:51 PM · Fatigue can make anyone forget anything. Professional musicians often have grueling rehearsal and travel schedules and irregular hours.
November 3, 2019, 8:17 PM · Everyone makes mistakes. When May-June rolls around, you read about people leaving their kids in the back seat of their cars on hot days and the children die. That's worse than leaving your stupid violin on a train, believe me. First you lose your children then you go to prison.
November 4, 2019, 8:57 AM · It's good to see and hear a David Tecchler violin being played solo on a TV news programme. More about David Tecchler violins and cellos on Wikipedia and the Tarisio website.
Edited: November 4, 2019, 11:01 AM · If someone left a violin behind and someone else finds it and picks it up, is it theft? If I saw someone leaving something valuable behind I would certainty pick it up and report it in the hope that the owner would care enough to look for it and I sure hope that the owner of that instrument would not immediately label me as a thief for being caring. I can understand why the individual who picked up the instrument was a little apprehensive in returning it.
Edited: November 4, 2019, 3:16 PM · Safest procedure to obviate an accusation of theft would be to immediately draw a rail official's attention to apparently abandoned luggage. In a more general situation contact the police.

Unfortunately, because of the days we live in there could be a security issue, so don't even touch the luggage - but taking a photo or two of it in situ may be useful.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe