Handling a large competition programme

November 2, 2019, 11:07 AM · Hi all,

I will be participating in a violin competition in about a month's time, and I have a sizable competition programme to prepare (9 pieces counting individual movements), so I was wondering how I should go about practicing these pieces. Say, if I have 4.5 hours of practice daily, should I spend half an hour on each of these pieces, or split them up and work on maybe 4 pieces on one day and 5 pieces on the next?

Thanks a lot, I am looking forward to your replies!

Replies (6)

November 2, 2019, 12:06 PM · I know its a different instrument, but there is a video by Josh Wright which covers this exact area
November 2, 2019, 1:06 PM · I think this is highly individual. I have never prepared this much at once but in general I like to practice a piece daily but not too much time each day. I seem to make faster progress that way than by trying to achieve a lot in one monster session (and then doing the next piece in the next session etc.). But others may have experienced the opposite: That sticking with a piece until it is mature is the most effective way.
November 2, 2019, 6:04 PM · The important thing, regardless of how you split your practice time between pieces, is to split your practice time between kinds of practice.

For each piece, you need to be doing a mixture of technical practice (very focused practice on specific technical issues), interpretive practice where you are experimenting with different approaches and finding out what works for you, and performance practice where you practice performing the whole movement / piece / programme in one go. It makes sense to each day do technical practice on some pieces and the other kinds of practice on other pieces, though a month from the recital there are probably some days when you should do pretty much all performance practice!

November 3, 2019, 3:11 AM · @Jake would you be able to send the link on this thread? I'm afraid I'm not able to find it
November 3, 2019, 6:15 AM · Chris - that is great advice.
November 3, 2019, 7:55 AM · Thanks Albretch and Chris for the valuable advice!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe