A very special violin with initials on the back

Edited: November 2, 2019, 2:15 AM · Hi!

I’m very lucky that I came across this great sounding instrument. My teacher had it before me and I just love it more and more day by day. It has a deep colorful tone and sounds wonderful both under the ear and from the audience point of view. It can fill big concert halls and reach out to the last row. The projection is great. I’m just curious about its history and what’s even more interesting is the initials on the back of the violin. G.K or possibly C.K. There is a label inside with a an old picture of a man and the name Lajos Köhler Budapest 1927. And there is also some other words that i can’t read because it’s all written by hand. There is also another smaller label inside the violin that says something completely different. And then there are notes on the other side saying things in Hungarian (I supposed) that I can’t read but there is also a signature.. does someone recognize this instrument or the name or something? Or does anyone know about Hungarian violin making? I’m very curious because as I said the violin truely sounds amazing and it looks very well made. The only thing I know is that there is a letter belonging to this violin. But unfortunately it got lost through the years. A friend to my teacher bought this violin in Hungary for 30 years ago and it is said that this instrument was specially built for someone at the Budapest opera house with the initials G.K (or possibly C.K) but I don’t know his name.. I think it is handwritten inside the violin but I can’t read it.. the only thing I’m pretty sure of is Gyula...

I hope you can see the pictures:

https://imgur.com/gallery/K125ava

Replies (4)

Edited: November 2, 2019, 4:00 AM · I like the comments on your gallery! Unfortunately (as I expect you know) the name Lajos Köhler doesn't figure in Tarisio's maker archive or Jalovec's Encyclopedia of Violin Makers so it could be tough to find out anything about him. The initials on the back don't seem to help either. You could try maestronet.com, but please note they're rather particular about photographs!
Edited: November 2, 2019, 6:18 AM · Well here's a start!

maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/294800-violin-1934-koller-lajos-budapest/

https://hu.museum-digital.org/portal/index.php?t=objekt&oges=79319&recordlang=hu&record=

Edited: November 2, 2019, 10:17 AM · Congratulations on finding your dream violin. But why use a fine tuner on a gut G?
November 2, 2019, 3:57 PM · You got a better chance to get an answer on maestronet, this is where most experts hang out.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe