What to do when you are away from your violin for more that a few days

October 31, 2019, 3:31 PM · The parent of one of the young musicians in the Youth Orchestra asked my advice on what her young musician can do while the family is away on vacation but she won't have a violin at her disposal?

She isn't my student and frankly I'm a bit at a loss for a good suggestion.

Any ideas for me to offer?

Replies (15)

October 31, 2019, 3:50 PM · The student can listen to recordings of whatever pieces she's working on for her lesson and/or the pieces the orchestra is working on.

Maybe the family can find an orchestra concert to attend, or a student recital at a college close to where they'll be vacationing.

October 31, 2019, 4:03 PM · It's difficult to not be able to reach for the violin for any prolonged period of time, but there's a lot of research and study that can be accomplished even without playing. I'm going to be without my violin for two weeks during the holidays and I'll be studying scores, thinking about phrasing, and thinking about interpretation. I'll also be listening to a lot of recordings. When I listen to recordings of music that I am also learning, I don't listen with the intention of copying what they're doing. I listen analytically and consider what the player is communicating with their choices, and whether or not that is similar to the mood message that I'd like for my own interpretation. If not, how would I rephrase it so that my message speaks the way I feel it should? There's nothing wrong with referring to recordings for inspiration as long as our interpretation is still our own and reflects our experience of the phrase structure. Anyway... I got a little off on a tangent but these are all things I think about when I don't have access to my violin.
October 31, 2019, 4:10 PM · I go over the score together with a recording, and visualize/"feel" playing. If you do good visualizations you can even feel when you're committing a mistake -- you can realize "oh, I missed that shift by a bit" or the like.
October 31, 2019, 4:47 PM · I would call that a vacation. Maybe take one of the classic violin books by Leopold Mozart, Auer, Szigeti...
October 31, 2019, 5:41 PM · If the student practices diligently already, how about enjoying time away and pursuing other interests.
October 31, 2019, 6:12 PM · Easy: mental practise.
Listen, and think. Can do ear training. Can read the sheet music and use their forearm as a surrogate neck. Audiation, too. All sorts of ways to practise the violin without practising the violin!
Edited: October 31, 2019, 9:40 PM · Like others have suggested, there is a lot you can do away from the instrument. Bring the score for the next concert along with recordings. Go through your parts, familiarize yourself with the phrasing and dynamics, identify clues/points of reference in other's parts you can use to get back on track, visualize and resolve fingering, work out difficult tempos, work out the bowing, familiarize yourself with key changes and repeats, identify parts you need to concentrate on upon your return etc. If you can follow with your part the full rendition of the concert without getting lost and not loosing tempo you are already ahead of the learning curve when you get back.
October 31, 2019, 9:54 PM · Its hard for me to understand why you would need to be away from your instrument. I always travel with some kind of violin whether its a Cricket, a silent or my regular instrument. My daughter who is now fifteen has not been away from home without her instrument since she was playing a half size. We fly with them we take them all over the world. If we are going somewhere climatically hostile we'll take a cheap rental or a silent. If the student does not want to leave her instrument behind let her take it
October 31, 2019, 9:55 PM · Violins should not be left in a car, which can make it very annoying to travel with them.
November 1, 2019, 12:54 AM · There is a tutorial on how to play a piece/etudes with scores in youtube, which is good for mental practice by watching the bow and changing position, and the sound production.

That ONLY if the kid feels like to.

It's a vacation (I assume), let his/her souls free for a moment. It will recharge his/her mental towards musics with a fresh souls after vacation.

November 1, 2019, 8:55 AM · I had all sorts of plans to study without my violin on vacation this year, for I was going to a "climactically hostile" environment and had no desire to spend money on a silent violin for one trip. Once I was on vacation, I ended up simply enjoying my vacation. I didn't listen to music the way I normally do, nor did I do any studying or mental practice. It was a nice break, and by the end of my vacation I could not wait to get back to my violin practice.
Edited: November 1, 2019, 3:37 PM · Thanks to all who responded. I shared a synopsis with the mother. The most interesting response happened when I mentioned that some said to just let her daughter have a vacation. Mom responded: "That's what her teacher said but I want her doing something productive..." She also said she would think about having her review her music while traveling on the plane with a headset and the music recorded.
November 1, 2019, 4:32 PM · Something has clearly changed since I was young (1960s in my case). My mother would never have been this eager to keep me "productive".

I have to say: If the kids of today had any idea how many liberties we had back then and how little stress we were subjected to they would be very envious of us. (violin and youth orchestra was the grand total of my "extracurricular activities", back then it was called "hobby")

November 1, 2019, 5:14 PM · The brain is off solving problems in the background when someone takes time away. Everyone needs breaks, and the kid will only benefit from relaxing and putting conscious thought onto other things. Parents man, SMH.

It's like telling a kid to stop sleeping so much because they could be using that time to practice.

November 1, 2019, 11:28 PM · I honestly would also use the time away to really rest and recharge.

At the moment, I'm prepping for my graduate oboe recital that's happening on November 10, and I've been so immersed in oboe for the past few months that I will be happy to take a week's haitus and let my brain relax.

I can't imagine being a teenager and having that pressure put on me to be practicing during my vacation... Let her be a kid. Sure, she can listen to her pieces, but I would say a week away is potentially good for her if she doesn't have a big performance coming up. As she comes back, she'll just have to spend a couple days doing long tones, scales, and warm ups to get everything moving again.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe