Hildesheimer's Mozart

Edited: October 30, 2019, 5:52 AM · I'm 50 pages into the German 1977 Suhrkamp edition and finding it a bit of a pretentious pain in the donkey. Does it get any better? Is there a better, more recent biography?

Replies (5)

October 30, 2019, 6:35 AM · Give it a chance. It gets better around p. 783.
October 30, 2019, 10:04 AM · I thought it was engaging, but whatever.
October 30, 2019, 11:57 AM · It's very much of its era, focusing on the manic, irreverent Mozart. There is Gutman's "Mozart, A Cultural Biography" and Maynard Solomon's "Mozart".
October 30, 2019, 6:02 PM · I have Bernhard Paumgartner's encyclopedic "Mozart" (the 1945 edition of the 1927 original), all 551 pages of which explore all aspects of Mozart's life and music. It usefully includes a detailed index of all his works - in which I discovered that at the age of 9 or 10 he composed what is apparently his only vocal work in English, a motet "God is our Refuge" KV20. He was on tour in England in 1765, so that must be the reason for it being in English.

As far as I am aware, Paumgartner's “Mozart” hasn't been translated into English, so dipping into it is a useful exercise for improving my long-rusty German!

October 31, 2019, 12:25 AM · I would recommend "Mozart in Vienna 1781-1791 by Volkmar Braunbehrens. It is available in English translation and offers a fresh take on Mozart's final decade - also some very interesting material on life in Vienna (and Austria generally.)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe