What are your 3 favourite violin concertos?

October 29, 2019, 6:03 PM · Hello,
The question is in the title
In violin concertos, you can also include the sinfonia concertante and the Lalo' SE

For me, my favourite concertos are:
-Mendelssohn E minor
-Lalo Symphonie Espagnole
-Mozart Violin Concerto N°3 in G major

Replies (34)

October 29, 2019, 6:08 PM · To listen to:
1) Any of the Vivaldi violin concertos
2) Mendelssohn
3) Bruch Scottish Fantasy
Edited: October 30, 2019, 3:31 AM · 1. Sibelius
2. Brahms
3. Saint-Saens No. 3
October 29, 2019, 7:47 PM · I think Mozart 5, Paganini 1 and Wieniawski no 1
October 29, 2019, 8:23 PM · Elgar, Korngold, and Bruch Scottish Fantasy.
October 29, 2019, 8:32 PM · Beethoven
Brahms
Dvorak
October 29, 2019, 9:42 PM · With only 3 options I can't really decide. Only Shostakovich No.1 is with certainty among the three I would choose if I could.
October 29, 2019, 9:44 PM · I don't know. Sometimes one is in the mood for Korngold, and sometimes one is in the mood for Bach. Yes! Bach A Minor and E Major concertos are nice to hear and I am quite fond of the Vivaldi Four Seasons too. I also like Dvorak and Sibelius concertos a lot. I like the themes. I like the Beethoven concerto for its musical structure but it is not as "catchy" for me as some others, I don't know why.
October 29, 2019, 9:47 PM · Mendelssohn, Prokofiev 1, and Tchaikovsky.
October 29, 2019, 11:06 PM · The Dvorak has my favourite opening of any violin concerto haha
October 29, 2019, 11:22 PM · Tchaikovsky
Sibelius
Brahms
October 30, 2019, 1:55 AM · Beethoven, Sibelius, Brahms
October 30, 2019, 2:19 AM · Sibelius, Bruch, Sinding Suite
October 30, 2019, 2:28 AM · Sibelius, Alban Berg, Benjamin Britten..
October 30, 2019, 3:03 AM · Beethoven violin concerto has always been a firm favourite of mine, closely followed by Mozart 4 and Korngold!
October 30, 2019, 4:45 AM · Today....
Mozart Sinfonia Concertante
Beethoven
Vivaldi Op 8 No 11
Might be different tomorrow, but the first two are unlikely to be displaced.
October 30, 2019, 8:20 AM · Beethoven
Tchaikovsky
Can't decide on the 3rd, but it includes (in no particular order)
- Brahms
- Bartok
- Paganini #2
- Bach 1 & 2
- several Vivaldi's
and so many others.
Tough choices to make.
October 30, 2019, 9:02 AM · The first two that sprung to mind were Stravinsky and Lalo, followed by Bartok, and the Brahms.
October 30, 2019, 10:05 AM · 1. Beethoven - Romance in F
2. Tschaikovsky - Violin Concerto in D

Romance in F is soo emotionally romantic... One day if a guy gives me this piece, I will know his unspoken feeling towards me, without having to to tell me anything...

Tschaikovsky Violin Concerto in D is emotionally "exhillarating". When I get angry on something, I would listen to this piece and my aggresivity feels channeled.

Anyone know the history/story behind those 2 concertos?

October 30, 2019, 11:30 AM · Brahms
Tchaikovsky
Prokofiev 1
October 30, 2019, 11:42 AM · Tchaikovsky, Paganini #1, Beethoven.
October 31, 2019, 8:53 AM · Beethoven, Shostakovich 1, Elgar.
October 31, 2019, 9:36 AM · My top three are Sibelius, Mendelssohn, and 3rd goes to either GLazunov or Shostakovich no.1 (depends on my mood, Glazunov is my rainy day concerto) . My teacher's favourite 3 are Beethoven, Mendelssohn, and Brahms.
October 31, 2019, 3:48 PM · Take a look at my analysis of the Beethoven Violin Concerto first movement. It's why that piece is number 1 in my opinion.

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=1199

Cheers,
Sandy

October 31, 2019, 5:12 PM · Brahms, Sibelius, and Bruch!
October 31, 2019, 6:15 PM · Gotta be Viotti 22, Accolay 1, and De Beriot 1, in that order.
October 31, 2019, 6:50 PM · Beethoven, Mendelssohn, and Bruch!
November 1, 2019, 8:56 AM · HA Cotton - you are so funny!
November 1, 2019, 6:52 PM · Next he'll be telling us his father was named Increase.
Edited: November 1, 2019, 7:10 PM · Cotton makes a good point. I'm sure this is something most of us have seen or heard: You arrive at orchestra, the brass are warming up with their usual loud arpeggios. Over in the violins, someone's practicing a few licks from their latest high-octane concerto, just to show us all that they're working on something hard. Like the three minutes they've got before orchestra is going to make a difference in their progress or something.
November 2, 2019, 12:35 PM · I must confess that I don't listen to recordings of Violin concertos very often anymore. It is like watching the high-wire artist at the circus working without a safety net. Maybe I would enjoy them more if I were Not a violinist. So, the ones that I enjoy working on, almost within my technical limits would be:
Mozart , Symph. Concertante
Lalo, Symph. Espanole
Beethoven.
Sibelius is too dark for my taste.
I have heard too many mediocre versions of the Mendelssohn at auditions and contests.
If I had the technique I would like to do:
Prokofiev - 2
Korngold.
Brahms.
Edited: November 7, 2019, 11:08 AM · Beethoven, Glazunov, Sibelius - but I can't manage all the notes in the last two.
Oh, and I love the Benedictus from the Missa Solennis!
Edited: November 7, 2019, 1:35 PM · Hmm, a difficult choice, so I think I'll go off-field with,

Haydn's G maj
Vivaldi's "Il favorito" in E min RV277
Bruch's Scottish Fantasia

I've worked on the first two in the past with my teacher. In particular, the Haydn G maj has a similar feel to it as his C major cello concerto which I performed once a long time ago, so it sits well with me. For me, Vivaldi's "Il favorito" is well up among the more attractive of his concertos, perhaps more so than "The Seasons" (a little bit of iconoclasm there!)

The Bruch is a brilliant light atop a distant mountain, too distant for me to reach in my lifetime, therefore to be admired from afar.

November 7, 2019, 1:59 PM · Prok 2
Pag 1
Prok 1

But I've heard them at least 10 times more than any others. One day I must listen to the rest seriously.

Edited: November 7, 2019, 3:20 PM · Goldmark-the rest are a blur of greatness. Prokofiev 1 and *perhaps* Sibelius or Beethoven or...

Note that this question is favorites, not which are "the best 3 concertos." For the best, Beethoven, Brahms, and maybe Mendelssohn or Sibelius. Mendelssohn is the perfect (early) romantic violin concerto. Still a favorite of mine, but perhaps not a top 3 in terms of "favoritism."

I love most of the Paganini, Wieniawski, Vieuxtemps concertos (his 3rd is a hiddem gem of musical pathos and gorgeous, singing violin themes). The much maligned (in these forums at least) Viotti 22nd is a great classical concerto with a romantic tinge. It is a favorite of mine, if maybe not top three.

Shostakovich's 2 concertos are great.

I like the Scottish Fantasy more than Bruch's G minor, though that one is a beautiful work too.

My favorite classical repertoire are violin concertos or violin+orchestra works, followed by violin sonatas, solo violin works, AND showpieces. I really love our instrument and its repertoire, for better or worse. While I also love chamber music and orchestral works, most of my daily classical listening centers on the violin, with some piano sprinkled in.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe