Meniere’s Disease

October 29, 2019, 5:05 AM · It has been some time since I posted anything on violinist.com. When I was last posting, I was angry at the world and how it seemed to be so unfair. I apologise if I offended anyone.

I have been suffering for some time with Meniere’s Disease, an autoimmune disease of the inner ear, of which the only respite of the symptoms, culminates in deafness in the affected ear. These symptoms include; dizziness, vertigo, tinnitus, and distortion of sound at high levels. In 2018 I reached the point where I realised, that the playing career I had followed for 30 years, had to end.

I’m not writing because I seek sympathy, but to share my new path. I am still teaching and playing chamber music, but the door of orchestral playing that closed, allowed me to follow another passion that I have always had, that of the love of the instrument itself. I have opened a violin shop, called Christchurch Fine Violins, that will be selling only antique instruments. Many of these are sourced in New Zealand, but I will also be regularly attending auctions in London.

I will resume contributing this fascinating website, but now with more compassion and from a new angle.

Cheers Carlo

Replies (4)

October 29, 2019, 5:11 AM · I'm so sorry to learn of your hearing loss in one ear but am very happy that you have taken up a new passion that keeps you in the violin world. Best of luck to you and to Christchurch Fine Violins!
October 29, 2019, 10:38 AM · That's great!
October 29, 2019, 1:10 PM · Thank you Carlo for sharing that with us. This surely is something that is hard to come to terms with, and glad you found a way forward. Good luck in your new endeavor.
October 29, 2019, 9:57 PM · Hi Carlo. Glad to see you back here. Sorry to hear about your ear issues. Sadly, none of us can predict the length of our playing "careers", and it's a good reminder that what time we have is potentially precious.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe