Authentic Strings or Not?

October 25, 2019, 10:07 PM · Hey, I wanted to know what I should do. I am trying Evah Pirazzi Gold strings for the first time and need to buy a set. I bought one off of amazon, which the company that was listing them was Pirastro. Are they authentic? I had heard about some authenticity problems. Please let me know!

Replies (5)

October 25, 2019, 10:18 PM · The seller was probably not Pirastro. Amazon lists the manufacturer under the title of the product regardless of who the vendor is. You have to click the link that says “new and used from $X.xx” to view the different vendors. The default vendor is, I think, the cheapest one listed as new condition. I’ve gotten burned on Amazon with fake strings before. If you do buy from amazon, make sure you pick an actual violin shop as the vendor. You will see a bunch of sellers that have nothing to do with violin at all, these you should avoid. So far the only violin shop I see that sells on amazon is Johnson Strings. But they are usually more expensive so they are rarely the default vendor when you search the item.
October 25, 2019, 10:22 PM · johnson strings actually sell some of their sets cheaper on ebay, i got their JSI dominant special for around 8 bucks cheaper on their ebay account than their actual website.
October 26, 2019, 7:59 AM · I just checked the Amazon prices for EPG (with Silver-wound G) strings and none are as low as I paid Concordmusic.com 2 weeks ago.
October 26, 2019, 4:58 PM · Difficult to say without seeing them, but if the price seemed too good to be true, then you probably know the answer.
October 26, 2019, 5:03 PM · Some companies on eBay buy genuine strings in bulk, and then package them into individual sets that they sell for lower prices than the OEM sets.

These are authentic strings, but not in the OEM wrapper.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe