New and young violin makers?

October 23, 2019, 6:59 PM · Hi,
Do you know new and/or young violin makers, for example, that are new in the business? If so, can you please list some?
Thanks

Replies (20)

October 23, 2019, 7:34 PM · I know a guy... He is young and very very handsome (haha)... You can consider him new to the business of Violin Making because he just finished his 1st Violin a couple weeks ago... His name is Mathew Atria ;)
October 23, 2019, 7:43 PM · I recommend Mark Langdale Hough, of Guilford, CT. He did very fine repair work on a 95-yo violin I have (fixed several cracks and installed a new block, then set it up beautifully). While in his shop I tried a violin he made...truly exquisite, it made me sound as if I could actually make good sounds with a violin. I'm in awe.
October 23, 2019, 7:57 PM · Patrick Toole of Roanoke Virginia. Toole Studios on Facebook. Makes nice violins and violas, which are sold at dealers such as Davidson Violins.
October 23, 2019, 9:30 PM · i know a guy, his name is mathrew atria hahahaha
October 24, 2019, 2:23 PM · Anyway, what was the purpose of this thread?
October 24, 2019, 2:48 PM · For you to advertise Mathew.

Wait a mo, you don't have an alter ego do you??? :D

October 25, 2019, 8:18 AM · Well if that's the case...I'm located in Long Island, New York! Open for commission on Violins and willing to start right away :)

PS: Elise, No alter ego here; just humility and the occasional sarcasm ;)

October 25, 2019, 10:22 AM · I can imagine that the purpose of the thread was so that the OP could maybe fetch himself a nice-sounding well-playing bench-made violin for a lower price since many makers just starting out do good work but can't yet command the same price as those who have several prestigious awards to their credit. Seems like a reasonable thread topic to me.
Edited: October 25, 2019, 10:28 AM · Go for it Mathew :D

Paul - yes, reasonable enough. But why didn't the OP say that himself (if indeed it was the intent).

Perhaps he's looking for someone to sell his violin tools, or he's writing a book, or he's starting a Luthier dating service, or is he's … ….

October 25, 2019, 10:33 AM · If that is the case it's definitely a great topic. I look forward to the day I get my first commissioned work for a Violin. :)
November 13, 2019, 6:12 PM · Dereck Coons of the Tampa Violin Shop is a master luthier. His violins exceed those that sell for much more. Price and value are completely disconnected when it comes to fine violins. For me, as a violinist, it's all about the sound. No sense in spending a fortune on an old Italian violin with a pedigree name when you can get a far better sound out of a new, modern instrument. Even world class violinists cannot tell the difference in sound between a Strad or a del Gesu and a fine modern violin in blindfold tests!
November 13, 2019, 8:20 PM · I feel the ground shaking ...
November 13, 2019, 10:45 PM · How about not extremely new, fairly old, but relatively unknown?
November 14, 2019, 12:54 PM · As in Don Noon who does acoustic research and has won best violin and tone awards? : )
November 14, 2019, 1:57 PM · If I said "yes" that would be promotional... so I won't.
November 14, 2019, 2:28 PM · At least Don understands the rules against self promotion!!
November 14, 2019, 3:02 PM · A new member asked for upcoming new makers so it doesnt hurt to recommend an older maker here!
November 14, 2019, 3:42 PM · Alexander, there is no such thing as a "master luthier" in the US, unless one has been designated as such by the American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers, or has a Master's Degree from the Mittenwald School in Germany. Both are highly respected amongst their fiddlemaking peers. Any other "masters" designations are most likely self-bestowed, and might mean something, or not.
November 14, 2019, 5:31 PM · I would recommend Ednei Zuccati now living in Malta but he gets commissions from anywhere.
He just moved out from Cremona after completion of his graduation in "Istituto Professionale Internazionale per l'Artigianato Liutario e del Legno 'A. Stradivari'".

I got my violin last April and couldn't be happier so I proudly have showed my instrument to 2 well regarded luthiers (referred here on V.com multiple times) and to one international soloist whom played on it for over 1 hour ;-). With no exception - they got very well impressed with the work craftsmanship on top of its sounding quality and projection.

November 15, 2019, 4:11 AM · Welcome AC,

What a great story and glad to hear you have found your dream violin.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe