Ideas about repertoire and suggestions

Edited: October 23, 2019, 2:51 PM · Hello,
I had a concert today (I was playing Schubert sonatinas)
And for my next concert , I wanna play one piece + the meditation from Thais
I'm studying Viotti 23 , but I dont wanna play it because it is too "show" and there isn't enough music for me.
I'm thinking about these in my next program(I'll too need to ask my teacher):

Mozart 3(I know the difficulties and have played the first two mov)(it will be played with a piano reduction)

Schumann :sonata for violin and piano n°1

Brahms 's first sonata

Vivaldi:Four seasons(Don't really wanna play it)

Have you got another suggestions(Bruch , Mendelssohn, etc... are too hard for me)
I too don't wanna play 'solo' Bach

(I too precise that we doesn't have a public that is so musical...They just come for relaxing and listening)
So I can't play a piece that is during more than 35-40 min(including all mov)

Waiting for your answers...

Replies (7)

October 23, 2019, 3:23 PM · You don't want to play Solo Bach, but luckily, Robert Schumann wrote a piano accompaniment for it, so that solves that problem. Now, that's only about 15 minutes, so I recommend filling out some more time either with some Ernst etudes, or the Wieniawski Faust Fantasy would be a good choice for your level. Then you need a good meaty sonata, so I think you would be best suited for either The Prokofiev f minor sonata, or possibly the Franck Sonata - It's really up to you, and they will both provide a good contrast. If you still need to fill up some time, you may want to look into the Schoenberg Phantasy.

Voila! A nice, not too difficult program that everyone will love.

October 23, 2019, 3:32 PM · Perhaps you should give the Viotti 23 a try. I performed it as a teenager (with piano) and I remember that the audience liked it a lot, although I confess I played it really sloppily back then. Being older now, I am much more self-critical, fortunately ;-) Anyway, what I want to say is: Giving a nice and polished presentation of the Viotti 23 is quite a challenge and, I believe, of exactly the right level for you currently, and actually really fun to play well, and an audience pleaser.
October 23, 2019, 3:47 PM · Around the same level is the DeBeriot Scene de Ballet, which is a wonderful opportunity to feel like a virtuoso while playing something not too terribly difficult.

You could also do a Kreisler work. Sicilenne & Rigaudon, or Praeludium & Allegro are popular.

October 23, 2019, 5:04 PM · I understand you don't want to play Vivaldi's seasons. But I would seriously consider baroque sonatas. A lot of people like the baroque style. Examples are: Handel D-Major (my favorite among the Handels), Vivaldi op. 2 (I recommend no. 2, 3 or 5 from the first volume) or Bach sonatas with obligato harpsichord (they actually come across better when played with piano than with harpsichord, they are great music, much neglected I am afraid, harder than the Handel and Vivaldi examples but I think you can do them. I'd recommend the one in A-Major for a first go at these sonatas).
October 23, 2019, 5:36 PM · Your list made me smile as it almost identical to the pieces I wanted to play (and for most have now).

There are some great ideas above (maybe some are yet too hard) but one idea I don't see is to play a Mozart sonata. the K304 is really fun -especially if you play both movements. And its interesting too because apparently Mozart wrote it after he heard of the death of his mother - which I guess is why its in a minor key (only two of the 20 or so 'mature' sonatas). K301 is also nice. This is a wonderful introduction to Mozart - far better than going straight to the concertos - where you can work on the classical mood and the particular Mozart sound.

Edited: October 29, 2019, 5:59 PM · Elise,
I didn't put Mozart sonatas because there is NOTHING technically interesting(even if it's hard musically)
I find Mozart sonatas beautifull but I have all the time in my life to play them.I prefer to play pieces that are interesting and that make me progress quickly
I also lose a bit of time on the Schubert Sonatinas (they were beautifull)
October 29, 2019, 7:49 PM · If you have all the time, why not now?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe