New bridge and a tonal adjustment

Edited: October 22, 2019, 10:09 AM · Hi all,

I’m thinking about having my viola tonally adjusted, new season and being a newer instrument I feel it could help a bit with it’s general sound etc. However, I was also thinking about a new bridge. The viola came with what I can only assume is a bog standard bridge, there is certainly nothing special about it, and I understand that higher quality bridges help to produce a better sound?
Is this the case? What is your experience with bridges, perhaps you prefer a particular brand such as Despiau or Teller?

Thanks!

Replies (5)

Edited: October 22, 2019, 11:21 AM · Before attempting any tonal adjustment, especially this time of year when temperature and humidity change significantly, you should ensure that your instrument is being kept in a stable controlled environment first and foremost. This is especially true if you also contemplate a new or adjustment to the sound post, which may be recommended as part of a full tonal adjustment. Puting a new/adjusting sound post when the instrument is dry, can result in overtension when humidity goes up again, and lead to a crack in your top plate. Your instrument should always be kept at 50-55RH humidity plus or minus a few degrees, if this is not the case then adjusting/changing bridge, end tail and/or sound post may be a futile exercise.
October 22, 2019, 4:52 PM · Who cuts the bridge is infinitely more important for tone than the brand, IMO. A cheapo bridge might be more likely to warp, though.
October 22, 2019, 4:55 PM · Hi Roger - I’ll make a point of checking the humidity levels. If the viola isn’t being played, it lives in its case, seemingly the safest place for it! The case doesn’t have a hydrometer though.

Hi Don - I’m very fond of the set up my local luthier does, he did a lovely job with my violin earlier in the year, so I’m happy to go to him again. He’s very skilled!

October 23, 2019, 10:27 AM · It's that time of year--to be aware of humidity changes. Here is everything you need to know:

http://www.burgessviolins.com/humidity.html

October 24, 2019, 3:48 AM · Hi Erin - thanks for sharing that, a good and very helpful read!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe